Edited music becomes jumbled

Posted by slaster 
Edited music becomes jumbled
January 29, 2008 08:04PM
FCP 6.0.2 on G5 2.5. Editor (new to FCP and can't entirely remember her procedure) dragged some music from CD onto FW drive and then either imported or dragged into FCP. Editor imported or dragged some music from iTunes into FCP. Music was edited, saved, system shut down, system started and edited music is a jumbled mess. Edits look the same, but different parts of the tune are in the cut.
Re: Edited music becomes jumbled
January 29, 2008 08:21PM
Theoretically speaking when you "drag" music tracks from a CD, it should copy to the disk location as an AIFF. But I'm guessing something went wrong in your procedure. I usually would use iTunes to enter the information about the CD and then use Advanced - Convert to AIFF to make a file before importing into FCP. Never had the problem you're describing. I can only imagine that the file you created is somehow corrupt or incompatible with FCP.

Try re-converting the CD track with iTunes as I outlined. Make sure it's an AIFF, 16-bit stereo, with a sample rate matching your timeline (usually 48kHz). If that doesn't make a difference, disconnect the problematic audio clips in FCP (SHIFT-D, Leave Files on Disk) and then reconnect them, see if the editing decisions are restored to what they should be.

www.derekmok.com
January 30, 2008 01:05AM
this happened to me a while back.
the problem was in the RENDERS!

opening the project on another system, all was fine,
so we trashed renders on the first system, and the music was OK.

fingers crossed it's that simple for you.
nick
January 30, 2008 11:46AM
Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try that.

Scott Laster
January 30, 2008 12:17PM
I had a simmular thing happen - I trashed the FCP User preferences and it fixed it -- Jay --
January 30, 2008 12:23PM
Haha... looks like we all had similar problems but with different solutions! I had it a long time ago, when I was mixing sample rates (it's sadly a common practice where i am), then some guy told me that it could be due to the mixing of sample rates that causes the problem, as final cut does an on the fly conversion (i remembered in 4.5, it converts it upon import, but not anymore). Basically, i switched sample rates and i had no problems after that.
January 30, 2008 12:30PM
Thanks to all who offered solutions!

Scott Laster
February 01, 2008 03:57AM
[ final cut does an on the fly conversion]

It does, and not always well. I *always* convert CD music to 48K AIFF, using ither iTunes or QuickTime Player Pro-- or it ocmes from composers that way.

For that matter, you can't rely on the accuracy of playback in Open Timeline mixed video formats either-- RENDER for frame accuracy.

Get all your elements into the same format; it's worth the extra time.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
February 01, 2008 01:01PM
Hi Loren,

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Scott Laster
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics