failure to Import m2v to fcp HD

Posted by wo0f 
failure to Import m2v to fcp HD
April 30, 2006 07:32PM
Hi guys,
Im running a dual 2gig g5 / FCP HD.
I have some m2v files supplied which im unable to import to fcp. ie - When i select import the m2v files are greyed out.

However, i can view and play the files in DVD studio pro.

I have attempted to download the latest quicktime Mpeg playback component update just on the of chance this fixed the prob. But when this installs it says it has nothing to install - so i assume its already installed.

I have trashed my preferences to no avail.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Bruce
Re: failure to Import m2v to fcp HD
April 30, 2006 09:13PM
FCP doesn't play m2v files. You should convert them to .mov files. Try using Compressor to convert the files to an FCP friendly format.

Andy
April 30, 2006 09:27PM
mpegstreamclip - its free fast and easy

google it. ive found versiontracker is the most reliable download source.
April 30, 2006 10:48PM
Hey thanks so much chaps.. I really appreciate your advice - as alwayssmiling smiley
works a treat now...

have a great day.
Bruce
May 03, 2006 06:46PM
I USED to use QTPro to re-export a wide variety of files to .movs so I could use them in FCP. but now StreamClip is my PREFERRED app.

There are so many kinds of file types, created by so many applications, Mac and WIN... but it seems that re-exporting them as new .movs really helps make FCP happy.

I got some QT files made on WIN from another Producer the other day. I didn't think to re-export them as new .movs, I just dragged them into FCP.

FCP sort of liked them (although the audio required render for playback)... DSP4 liked them... but when I put the finished burned DVD in the SONY desktop DVD player, the audio sounded like I had a broken speaker wire while driving on a gravel road. I burned a 2nd disc, and I got a "Can't play this disc, disc might be "dirty" " error.

So I put the DVD in the G5 internal DVD drive, and after waiting 2 mins for it to mount on the desktop, I used every trick I could think of to eject the disc. Finally, I have to remove the drive from the G5 and put it in an external enclosure, hook up JUST the power cable, and it finally ejected!

So I went back to FCP, deleted the audio tracks, re-exported the origs from StreamClip, and all is now well.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics