Split Mono into Stereo pair not working

Posted by ErikR 
Split Mono into Stereo pair not working
February 13, 2008 09:47PM
I'm trying to modify my clips with 2 mono tracks into a stereo pair. I select the master clip and disconnect the media, then go to Modify clip settings and hit the Link button. When I reconnect the media, the clip goes back to having two mono tracks. When I cut part of the clip into the timeline, I'm able to make it a stereo pair there, and even bring it up in the viewer so I can adjust audio levels. But I'd like the master clip to be a stereo pair as well for easier level adjusting.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere when digitizing. All the clips from my DV deck are coming in with Split monos, but they're stereo tapes. The deck is an old Panasonic AGDV2000, but I don't see anything on there for me to change.
Re: Split Mono into Stereo pair not working
February 13, 2008 11:55PM
Option L will link them as a stereo pair (but this is not true stereo, the kind recorded with special mikes)

February 14, 2008 12:16AM
> I'm trying to modify my clips with 2 mono tracks into a stereo pair. I select the master clip and
> disconnect the media, then go to Modify clip settings and hit the Link button. When I reconnect
> the media, the clip goes back to having two mono tracks.

In reading your description, I think you're trying to stereo-link a Dual Mono pair that's already in a timeline. The disconnect-reconnect trick doesn't work on clips that are already in a Sequence, only on the master clip in the Browser. It's like a Dual Mono master clip -- if you stereo-link them manually in a Sequence, they'll stay stereo-linked until you undo it yourself.

www.derekmok.com
February 14, 2008 12:33AM
Not exactly. I want to stereo link the master clip. But when I did all the unlinking, modifying, relinking, the clip still has two mono tracks. I then tried cutting a piece of the clip into a sequence and modified that to be in stereo, but I'm trying to do the master clip.

It's confusing because they should be stereo clips coming off my dv. I have some AVI imports of some of the same footage that I had digitized on my Avid, and those imports come in as stereo. Looking at my browser, everything I've digitized the past couple days say "2 Mono" in the audio column.
February 14, 2008 02:50AM
Well, nothing preents you from doing exactly what you did to the clip-- bringing in a complete master clip, modifying then dragging from the timeline back to the Browser into a new bin labelled "stereo" or something.

If they were recorded as a left-right stereo pair from the camera as opposed to dual mono, you should check your capture and sequence settings to see where they may have gotten changed. Feels like a sequence issue.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 14, 2008 03:01AM
Generally, too, if the footage was miked, it's better to have the two channels separate, so you can turn of the background junk on the second channel. Most pro camera guys send audio to specific channels so that it can be manipulated independently.

February 14, 2008 03:17AM
Actually these are dubs of Onlined Beta masters, so all audio has already been stereo mixed. I'll check the sequence and capture settings to see if something is amiss there. Otherwise I'll just bring the complete master into the timeline and change it there.
February 14, 2008 03:39AM
Then it must be a capture or sequence setting. Unless the dub is wrong?

February 14, 2008 04:35AM
I always split mono into stereo by hand.
February 14, 2008 08:40AM
> Generally, too, if the footage was miked, it's better to have the two channels separate, so you
> can turn of the background junk on the second channel. Most pro camera guys send audio to
> specific channels so that it can be manipulated independently.

That is true, but I have a different argument. If we're talking about two channels, I generally log and capture it as Stereo first. Because if I'm trying to deal with picture primarily, stereo-linked sound clips are easier to deal with on the fly -- levels and keyframes are automatically applied to both sides, and so are filters in the Viewer. And if you want to convert stereo-linked clips in the timeline for a more detailed sound mix later,, you can select 100 of them in one go, press OPTION-L, and they are all unlinked. You cannot stereo-link more than one pair at a time -- if you edited with 100 dual-mono pairs and now want them stereo, it's 100 operations. So it's a lot harder to go from two separate mono tracks to stereo pair than the other way around.

www.derekmok.com
February 14, 2008 06:09PM
That would actually make it more difficult for the way I work. I usually drop both channels to the timeline as I go and automatically turn down the camera mike channel. I could decide to not add that channel at all, but it's saved my ass a couple of times when the main mike has failed during an interview, so I just add it by habit now.

Because my stuff is usually quite fast turnaround, I dumb out the sound as I cut, so when it comes to online, most of the grunt work is already done. I just need to deal with peaks and fades. If I had a stereo mix, I would have to un-stereo everything, then drop out the dud channel, then redo the leves, which would be softer now that the second channel was missing.

Horses for courses, I reckon.

February 15, 2008 01:24AM
Nope, still can't figure it out. All the settings I see are "stereo." All but one of the dubs were from stereo mixed Betas. Here's what my sequence settings are:

Anything look out of place?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics