Stripping an alpha in FCP???

Posted by Andy Neil 
Stripping an alpha in FCP???
May 01, 2006 06:24PM
Is there a way inside FCP via a plug-in or other filter to strip an embedded alpha from a quicktime movie?

Specifically, I have gotten an embedded graphic in Animation codec from my GFX dept. I brought it into FCP for sound design and now have to provide a video element and a separate black and white matte element to the production dept.

I spent some time trying to figure this out in FCP and in Quicktime to no avail and it occurred to me that this might be a useful plugin. Particularly if you are creating those elements in FCP.

Normally I would use AE to render out the alpha only, but I don't have AE on this computer. So, while I'm waiting for GFX to provide me with a rendered alpha element for all these clips that I just finished, I thought I'd ask.

Andy
Re: Stripping an alpha in FCP???
May 02, 2006 07:22AM
Yes there is, no plug-in required:

- Put your graphic clip on V1 (making sure it's alpha mode is set to Straight or Black depending on how it was originally created).
- Create a new color matte clip (100% white) and place that on V2 above the graphic clip.
- Ctr-Click or right-click on the color matte clip and choose Composite Mode > Travel Matte - Alpha

You will end up with a white/black matte image which you can export to a new clip.

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.uk
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics