Sony HVR V1: PAL or NTSC ? 25p or 30p and 24p ?

Posted by cinopanacea 
Sony HVR V1: PAL or NTSC ? 25p or 30p and 24p ?
February 07, 2008 04:42PM
Hello to all smiling smiley
Soon I'll buy the Sony HVR V1. I know that it supports in Pal version the 1080p25, and in NTSC version the 1080p30 and 1080p24.
I want to use theese progressive formats to obtain in monitor of my iMac (only progressive) a smooth movie.
About you which framerate is better for smoothness on monitor of computer ? 30 p ? 25 p ? 24 p ?
Perhaps the best thing is to buy the NTSC version so I've 30p and 24 p too ??
With Pal only 25 p...
Please, help me
Thanks
Cino
Italy
Re: Sony HVR V1: PAL or NTSC ? 25p or 30p and 24p ?
February 07, 2008 05:46PM
I just bought 2 V1U and loving them. Im shooting on the 24 progressive mode to HDV tape.. I think you will love the cameras they are light and easy to work with. Im shooting an indie film using them..
SDS
February 12, 2008 08:13AM
Hi Cino,

I think there are two things that "smoothness" could refer to. There is the motion blur effect you get shooting at 24/25/30p with a normal 180-degree shutter. Many people would consider this a 'good blur', or a kind of 'smoothness'. (As opposed to shooting 50/60p, or 24/25/30p with a much narrower shutter angle, which could be called a kind of motion 'sharpness'.)

Why are you specifically concerned about 'smoothness' on just your iMac? Will everything you shoot with this Sony V1 be only ever viewed on iMacs?

I don't think there would be any noticeable difference while editing on an iMac whether the footage is 24, 25, or 30p. Even if there was, it'll only be something you'd see while editing. It's more important to think about how the video will be viewed by the final audience -- unless, of course, your audience is iMac users.

Whether you buy the NTSC-compatible or PAL-compatible model purely depends on which formats you plan on using most. There is no point having a choice between 24p and 30p on your camera if most of the time you need to output 25p or 50i. You'll waste a lot of time (not to mention altering picture and audio quality) while converting.

Sid.
February 16, 2008 07:50PM
SDS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Cino,
>
> I think there are two things that "smoothness"
> could refer to. There is the motion blur effect
> you get shooting at 24/25/30p with a normal
> 180-degree shutter. Many people would consider
> this a 'good blur', or a kind of 'smoothness'. (As
> opposed to shooting 50/60p, or 24/25/30p with a
> much narrower shutter angle, which could be called
> a kind of motion 'sharpness'.)
>
> Why are you specifically concerned about
> 'smoothness' on just your iMac? Will everything
> you shoot with this Sony V1 be only ever viewed on
> iMacs?
>
> I don't think there would be any noticeable
> difference while editing on an iMac whether the
> footage is 24, 25, or 30p. Even if there was,
> it'll only be something you'd see while editing.
> It's more important to think about how the video
> will be viewed by the final audience -- unless, of
> course, your audience is iMac users.
>
> Whether you buy the NTSC-compatible or
> PAL-compatible model purely depends on which
> formats you plan on using most. There is no point
> having a choice between 24p and 30p on your camera
> if most of the time you need to output 25p or 50i.
> You'll waste a lot of time (not to mention
> altering picture and audio quality) while
> converting.
>
> Sid.

Thank you for the answer smiling smiley
At the end, I've bought Sony HVR V1 E Pal smiling smiley
I use Final Cut Studio 2.
I've seen movies on a site (http://geekstudios.com/demos/) maded at 30p and they are very smooth on my imac!
I've shooted at 1080i and at 1080p25. I've acquired both movies by final cut pro 6.0.2 using 1080i50 prese (Apple say to acquire using that preset for 25p too).
Fcp saves files in the capture folder with mov extensions.
I've played both movies (i50 and p25) with qt player but both are choppy with stuttering on the panning .. I wanted to obtain the smoothness that i've seen in "village" and "church" movies. How can I obtain that ?
I've seen that my movie files are Apple HDV 1080i50, 1440 x 1080(1888x1062) and have mov extension...the files on the site geekstudios (church, village) have m2t extension but I have not able to read info because i cannot open them with QT and I've to use VLC Player.

Another question: until now I've not a BluRay burner so I'd like to burn HD contents on DVD standard using DVD SP and HD DVD format. I use as player the HD DVD player for XBOX360.
Can you suggest the best way to create a good HD DVD from HDV source ? I'd like that my shoot in HDV are smooth on HDDVD as movies sended to projector directly from camera (without choppy, with smooth movements).
I've tryed with Compressor and to putting (without compressor) movies captured by FCP directly on DVD SP but results are not too good: video freeze often.

I've discovered a bad thing: if I connect my Sony V1 to Sharp DLP projector with DVI port (using adapter) , the camcorder thinks that display doesn't support 1080 i and camera send by HDMI output a signal at 576p and not 1080i!!
How can I resolve this problem??
Excuse me for the many questions smiling smiley
Thanks
Ciao from Italy!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics