Gamma correction stll required for PCs?

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Gamma correction stll required for PCs?
February 17, 2008 06:39PM
Is it still advisable to adjust the gamma on work for the web and (ugh) powerpoints if it's going to be viewed by PCs? If so - where's the best place to do the adjustment? I've got some SCQTs that I need to run through flip4mac.

Re: Gamma correction stll required for PCs?
February 18, 2008 03:11PM
Yes, still required. Do the adjustment in the encoding tool.

[www.lafcpug.org]

It's a bit out of date but still has the principles in it. Some codec (H.264) are auto-adjusting when played out of QT Player (and probably iTunes) but not necessarily with other players and not for all codecs. Definitely not for WMV.

Philip
February 18, 2008 03:45PM
Some codec (H.264) are auto-adjusting

I might be imagining this, but I feel that the so-called auto-adjustment in QT for Windows became worse with QT7.

With PowerPoints, I would argue that the most efficient strategy is simply not to worry about gamma or fine grading.

Typically PPs are projected in environments where the ambient color temperature is all over the place. Even if you can turn the lights out, say, in a lecture hall, it's not an answer. Any experienced lecturer can tell you how that's the best way to send the audience to sleep.
February 18, 2008 06:45PM
Ta guys. Philip - I did read your article. What's the possibility of updating that, since Cleaner is not really a common tool any more?

I found an option to increase the brightness in QT for the Flip4Mac output, but it's just a slider with no numbering, so no way of knowing if you've raised it enough or too much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics