Blanking error

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Blanking error
May 01, 2006 10:42PM
How can I get rid of the dashes at the top of the screen on 16:9 images coming out of a DSR11 being bumped up to digibeta?

Since a matte makes no difference, and the position of the dashes is different on three different monitors, I can't nut out a way to make it go away. Is there a setting in the DSR that will let me knock it up it a few pixels or something?

PAL DVCAM using (wait for it) FCP 2.
Re: Blanking error
May 01, 2006 11:47PM
I heard there's a VITC mask filter standard in FCP 3.0. You should look into it. :-)

Andy

PS: Sorry to make fun; I just had to dust off my old FCP 2 disks. I miss the video target buttons.
May 02, 2006 09:22AM
It's not the VITC - you can clearly see that running above the problem area in underscan.

I took the footage to one of our techs and he pulled out his scopes and said that its electronically introduced - on line 23 - so it's not in the vertical block, and it's on alternating fields.

Since I've been trying to get this client to upgrade for some time, I don't think FCP 3.0 would be a good move winking smiley I'm trying for a G5 and FCP 5, but right now I have to make this thing work for broadcast...

So, what would cause one pixel width dashes on line 23? The program or the deck maybe?
Re: Not A Blanking error
May 02, 2006 09:30AM
So, yeah, I guess it's also not a blanking error, if it's actually in the picture area.
Anonymous User
May 02, 2006 11:23AM
Is it possible this file has already been altered previously and this is either the closed captioning or the SIGMA encoding?

SIGMA use lines 20, 21 or 22, Closed captioning uses only line 21. If the picture dropped just one line, it could be the SIGMA. If it dropped more than one, it could be either one.

Some switchers and NLEs have been known to alter lines. Or an unsuspecting editor who doesn't know that those lines need to remain where they are could be the culprit.

May 02, 2006 12:08PM
My best guess is the deck then. Some minor dirt or imperfection on the heads maybe? If you have another deck it's worth checking out.

Andy
May 02, 2006 09:43PM
It's all kinds of footage - some camera tapes from a Sony 16:9 DVCAM, some old 4:3 SP, even some generated graphics that I did myself. So I'm pretty sure it's not SIGMA or CC. What is SIGMA, BTW?

Plus, when I shrink the footage - some of the archival SP stuff was shrunk and boxed to hide the fact that it wasn't 16:9 - it's still there in the black area right at line 23.

I'm going to give your idea a shot Andy - makes sense to take that out of the equation and see if the problem still exists. Thanks to both. smiling smiley
Anonymous User
May 02, 2006 11:22PM
SIGMA Encoding helps track how many times, where, and what time of day VNRs, SMTs, or PSAs are aired.

I'm not sure how it works. I just call a guy and it gets done! ;-P

May 06, 2006 12:09AM
OK. I'm watching the show go to air and the error is not there. Yay.

It's being shown 14:9 here, so there's a little black at the top and bottom and its clear - not a dash in sight.

Must have been an underscan error on the monitors.

Thanks for your help, all. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics