Dropped Frames on ProRes 422 HQ timeline

Posted by Keith Stewart 
Dropped Frames on ProRes 422 HQ timeline
February 21, 2008 03:15PM
After recently installing Leopard and an AJA IO HD and starting to use 1080i 29.97 ProRes 422 we noticed what appears to be dropped frames as the video plays on the timeline. It can be either a PR 422 HQ or just PR 422 timeline. The dropped frames warning is turned on but it is not telling us the system is experiencing dropped frames. I can take the same footage and digitize with the NTSC ProRes 422 and do not see this dropped frame or stuttery video issue in this SD timeline. I have ingested via XDCAM HD file transfer to an XDCAM HD 1080/60i timeline and the same dropped frame problem occurs in this timeline. This was not an issue with this system on Tiger and FCS 1. The XDCAM HD video played fine before Leopard. We are currently running QT 7.4. We have walked thru AJA's troubleshooting steps concerning dropped frames and it has not resolved this issue. Considering the recent rollout of Leopard and the AJA IO HD just wondering if anyone has experienced issues similar to this. We have tried the FCP tricks too like trashing prefs, PRAM reset, etc. I have also captured to another internal drive in bay 2 and experienced the same issue, so I don't believe it is our Media Drive. It passed the AJA System Test. Sorry for the War & Peace entry.
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM, 750GB media drive, Leopard 10.5.2, QT 7.4, FCP 6.0.2, AJA IO HD
Re: Dropped Frames on ProRes 422 HQ timeline
February 21, 2008 06:42PM
Have you tried everything in this doc?

[support.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 22, 2008 11:13AM
Michael,
I reviewed that paper from Apple and we had tried all of them except turning off Mirror On Desktop in the FCP A/V Settings. That seems to have fixed this issue. I have yet to see this dropped frames look during testing this morning after deselecting this option. I had not tried that because we had used an XDCAM HD timeline before in Tiger & FCS 1 and had not seen this issue before the Leopard and AJA IO HD additions. The video playback on our external monitors looked like the system was experiencing dropped frames although the Mac was not giving us the Dropped Frames Warning box. The system was set to warn of dropped frames.
Thanks for the input.
February 22, 2008 11:52AM
Generally drop frames happen because the system can't handle what your throwing at it. Hopefully all it was was the mirroring thang.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics