Stock Footage Native HDV

Posted by alwerj 
Stock Footage Native HDV
February 26, 2008 11:48AM
Hi everyone, I am about to purchase some hdv stock footage via FTP download as quicktime files. Native HDV is in the m2t format right? Is it worth it to dowload the native m2t's (quality wise), or would it be better to download the compressed FCP-ready, Quicktime file?...Going a little further, if the provider imported the footage via final cut, saved the files as self contained clips and used those clips as the stock clips for FTP download is that alright as far as quality when it comes to paying for stock?
Thanks for any replies.
-Al
Re: Stock Footage Native HDV
February 26, 2008 01:05PM
Hi Al,

Like so many of these kinds of questions, the answer is "It depends." First, it depends on how good "good enough" is for you or your client.

There are some people, whose opinions I otherwise greatly respect, who just HATE HDV of any kind - they'll tell you what you do here won't matter - it still started out as HDV. There are others who think HDV is just fantastic, when you accept and adjust to it's limitations, and when you factor in the cost savings.

If the footage you're downloading is direct - it hasn't been modified or transcoded since it was captured - that would probably be best because that data is the cleanest possible - anything that happens after will be under your control. If, on the other hand, the m2t is the output after somebody edited and then re-encoded, that's a major quality reduction. Same for quicktime files, unless they're uncompressed (doubtful for .ftp download) or ProRes 422 (also unlikely).

Here's a project I cut with one piece of cheap HDV stock footage - The "Surfer" footage I bought 'cause I didn't have time to capture it. The rest was HDV I shot myself with an FX1 and HC-3: http://HD-VO.com/nbff ...(Yeah, I know I should have brightened the surfer footage, but it was "Good Enough" for me.)

That piece was downloaded as m2t, then converted to ProRess 422 (standard, not HQ) for editing. Big Hint: MPEG Streamclip is your friend, and it's FREE!

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
Re: Stock Footage Native HDV
February 26, 2008 01:38PM
Thanks Travis, thats a nice piece you made. I appreciate the input.
Aloha, Al
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics