Capture is locking up the entire system

Posted by J.Corbett 
Capture is locking up the entire system
March 04, 2008 10:55PM
when i capture a dv tape. fcp is receiving the entire reel to the last frame without any drop frame at all. Seems great huh?

When i press escape to release the capture i get the beach-ball....... more beach-ball.......etc.

I force quit by right clicking the dock it does nothing. I go to finder to pull up the force quit window and that does nothing. Other apps wont open even though they jump right out of the dock and the trusky black arrow is indicating that it is open.

To regain control of my tower i have to slam the system by holding power for 7secs.

fcp will allow every other function you would use while editing ( filters, export, import and so on).

the file that i did try to capture is a -av file.

I have :
repaired permissions
repaired all disc
trashed prefs
clean restart ( meaning restarted as normal )
checked all settings ( not a whiz in that area )
disconnected and reconnected the camera that i use as a deck

Has anyone seen this before.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Capture is locking up CAN NOT CAPTURE AT ALL
March 05, 2008 09:06AM
I still have no answer for the problem.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
Re: Capture is locking up the entire system
March 05, 2008 10:17AM
You are obviously using Capture NOW. Unless you have changed the setting the system prefs on FCP, Capture NOW allocates the ENTIRE disk as it's target.

Capture NOW should only be used in extreme circumstances. Log and Capture is the elegant way to assure you grab and can re-capture those clips in the future.

""the file that i did try to capture is a -av file.""

And just exactly how are you trying to capture AV file? Do you mean an AVI file? FCP uses Quicktime files and not AVI files!
March 05, 2008 11:00AM
thank for your response.

i am using capture now. That what i have always used. Probably not the best thing in light of this new info you have given me.
I dont thing i have ever used the log clip button ever.
Would capture now intern take up more space on the disk?

-av file:

From time to time i will get files appended like; Clipname -av along with a file labeled Clipname.mov. The mov file is always first. At first i thought it was an audio file of some sort. However, it only came as a result of a failed capture. In the finder there is no preview fro these files so i figured it was junk and started deleting them when they came.

""""
March 05, 2008 11:03AM
>
> When i press escape to release the capture i get
> the beach-ball....... more beach-ball.......etc.
>

You shouldn't do a capture now. I think Shane has a nice stock answer to that... (this should be in the faq as "Shane's stock answer"winking smiley

> the file that i did try to capture is a -av file.

Yes. I have heard of this. It sounds like an incompatible QT / Final Cut version. Lots of bugs, including dropped frames, creation of huge -av files that stall the system... What version of Final Cut and QT are you running? You might need to downgrade QT. You could try using Pacifist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics