Audio sync madness when making subclip. Please help.

Posted by aka_waldo 
Audio sync madness when making subclip. Please help.
March 09, 2008 03:59PM
I'm working on a student's short.

I bring the entire video clip (with all the takes... 55 minutes) into the timeline then the entire audio file containing the dialog. I'm trimming the individual clips in the timeline and syncing the audio. I then cmd-L to link the individual takes to their synced audio.

I then double click the clip and bring it into the viewer...all is fine...the sound is still synced to the picture. So, then I hit cmd-U to make a subclip. Now, the audio is out of sync by about 12 seconds. What is going on?

Please help.

Oh yeah...and I'm using FCP 5...if that makes a difference.

Christopher
Re: Audio sync madness when making subclip. Please help.
March 09, 2008 08:14PM
I've seen this before, but we couldn't find the cause of the issue, and other forum members didn't seem to be able to re-create the problem. I and two assistants even tried marking down the sync points on the clips, and the marks came apart by themselves.

Try just dragging the synced clips into a bin in the Browser, rather than subclipping.

But next time, don't capture all your takes as one long clip. Bad way to work unless there's no alternative. You save a couple of minutes at the log/capture stage and it can cause you many headaches down the road.

www.derekmok.com
March 10, 2008 04:07AM
i've had sync issues with subclips when the audio file doesn't have a reel number.

this is apparently a symptom of the audio file not having a proper TC track,
but simply adding a reel# in the browser column can fix the problem.

hope that's it.
nick
March 10, 2008 03:09PM
---
this is apparently a symptom of the audio file not having a proper TC track,
but simply adding a reel# in the browser column can fix the problem.

hope that's it.
---

You HAVE to be kidding me! That WAS it. Thank you SOOO much Nick. I can't believe it was that simple.

Christopher
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics