Four deinterlaced frames ...bad telecine? or my bad DVD settings?

Posted by lekent 
Four deinterlaced frames ...bad telecine? or my bad DVD settings?
March 12, 2008 11:21PM
Hello all. This is my first post here and I am eagerly awaiting your expert advice. smiling smiley

I am working on a project that is mostly archival footage from a 16mm telecine done about 15 years ago. The telecine was done so long ago that the master is on 3/4 inch tape! (It's great stuff tough!!)

I did a "capture now" through my Blackmagic Decklink Extreme card at 10-bit into FCP. The cut footage looks great on my Apple monitor and ok on my ntsc monitor BUT when I made a DVD of the cut it looked terrible. The image was jumpy and skipping and looked like it had deinterlacing issues. Figuring that there was an a-frame issue or a field shift I did some field shift experiments in my timeline but no luck. Upon further examination of the original Quicktime files in my Capture Scratch I noticed that there is one good frame followed by four deinterlaced frames (or more acurately: four frames containing two fields that don't go together).

Am I using Shift Fields wrong? Is this some kind of crazy reverse telecine thing? Am I messing up my DVD settings?

Since it's a non-timecode source I'd sure hate to have to recapture if I can fix it some other way.

Any thoughts?

PS--
As I am writing this I just did a test using multiple field shifts and had some success adding three -1 Shift Field filters, but that seems so weird and inelegant... hmm...
Re: Four deinterlaced frames ...bad telecine? or my bad DVD settings?
March 12, 2008 11:47PM
Did you make the DVD by encoding an MPEG-2 via Compressor? If so, I remember reading there was a problem with Compressor's "Auto" field-dominance setting when dealing with Uncompressed 10-bit NTSC. Can't find the article right now, but I think manually changing it to "Lower" would solve the issue. The other workaround, when I used to encounter the issue, was to put the full-quality Uncompressed 10-bit movie file straight into DVD Studio Pro rather than going through Compressor.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics