Mpeg2 looks better than Quicktime but I need a great looking Quicktime

Posted by pcsstoll 
Mpeg2 looks better than Quicktime but I need a great looking Quicktime
March 12, 2008 04:42PM
I am having some strange problems that have stumped me, if anyone can help that would be a life saver.

Macpro 2x2.66ghz, 4GB DDR2 FB-DIMM
OSX 10.4.11
FCP 5.1.4
Compressor 2.3
FIREWIRE 800 HDD's: 1TB Lacie Raid 0, 500GB Lacie, 250GB Lacie.

This is basically everything that is connected to my computer.

MY PROBLEM:
I am working on an 80 min edit in FCP.

FCP will unexpectedly quit when I try to FILE:EXPORT:COMPRESSOR - assuming being able to do this will solve my problem.

I am able to export FILE:EXPORT:QUICKTIME just fine and then take that into compressor and export mpeg2 for 90 min dvd best quality(default settings). The mpeg2 ends up looking better then the quicktime.

The Mpeg2 looks sharper, colors are a little more vibrant, any jagged edges are smoothed out or sharper. I'm happy with how it looks.

I make these observations by opening both in quicktime player and viewing it on my apple lcd. The quicktime is fuzzy and blurry compared to the mpeg2.

I need to master to tape for film fest viewing(dvcam,digibeta, beta sp). In case it makes a difference I'll mention that I need to transfer to dvcam soonest.

I would think that a quicktime would be the best format to transfer seeing as that is a lot less compressed. BUT it doesn't look as good. Should I use the MPEG2(lower quality?)?

So first Problem is that quicktime doesn't look as good as mpeg2.

Second problem is that I have to restart the computer sometimes to refresh the ram so I can completely render large quantities of render files. Strange? But I no longer have to render anything, but I don't know if this ram thing is connected with not being able to export FILE:EXPORT:COMPRESSOR thru FCP.

Thank you for checking this out. I hope I haven't confused anyone or left to much info out.

Paul
Re: Mpeg2 looks better than Quicktime but I need a great looking Quicktime
March 12, 2008 05:25PM
In Quicktime Preferences, make sure "Use high-quality video setting when available" is checked. Restart, and check it out then.
Re: Mpeg2 looks better than Quicktime but I need a great looking Quicktime
March 12, 2008 06:54PM
I had read that somewhere and I tried it just before reading your post and now they look the same. I assumed(never assume) that since I had both mpeg2 and quicktime open next to each other at the same time they would display the same thing.

But you were right about that setting!

I'm so happy that it was a simple fix.

I ended up exporting with quicktime conversion:animation codec and in this case it looks better than a regular quicktime or the mpeg2. Although it is 100GB(80min) instead of 20GB(80min).

Thank you, thank you , thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics