Has anyone heard of this MacBook Pro FCP tip?

Posted by Darren 
Has anyone heard of this MacBook Pro FCP tip?
March 12, 2008 06:56PM
I saw this tip on another site, and I wanted to know if this has any legitimacy to it:

Tip for macbookpro users :
-get an e-sata expresscard adapter (60$)
-get en e-sata external drive enclosure (200$ with a 500Gb drive in it)

move the Finalcut application to the external, and lauch it from there.
Boom, your macbook pro is now twice faster with FCP6.

Personnally, The internal drive of my macbookpro is only used for "on the road" and personal stuff.

To edit, I boot from a Firewire 800 external, and have two additional e-sata external drives for the footage (drive 1) and Finalcut app and renders (drive 2)

The iMac is blown away by this setup, and not by a small margin.
I mean going back to the iMac really feels sluggish.

It doesn't SOUND like it would work (putting your FC app on the external and running it from there) because the app would have to "come from" the external.

Just wondering...
Re: Has anyone heard of this MacBook Pro FCP tip?
March 12, 2008 11:08PM
I don't think you can install FCP on an external drive unless there is an OS on it. I guess you could move the FCP app icon to an external drive but isn't that same as making an alias? What difference would it make? Its still opening from the system drive.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 13, 2008 12:57AM
it sounds like complete rubbish. the app loads into and runs from RAM. hosting the app bundle itself on the external would do nothing to speed that up ... and fwiw it would stop software update from working with FCP too. i say its bogus advice. if the guys seeing a 100% increase in performance then there is something out of whack in his system.
March 13, 2008 12:25PM
Leo Laporte talks about this...that the internal 2.5" drives on laptops are slow, typically 4200RPM. What HE does when he is at home, is installs an OS on an external firewire 800 drive, then runs his applications from that, and gets faster performance due to drive speed and the FW800 transfer rate.

HOWEVER, this is not recommended for video, as you need your footage on an external drive, and especially not recommended as a travel option.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 13, 2008 12:33PM
Well thats different. Obviously you need an OS on the drive in order to make FCP work otherwise its only an alias.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 13, 2008 12:54PM
Thanks guys... just wanted to get a better (or clearer) opinion on this....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics