Checking for 16/9 success

Posted by J.Corbett 
Checking for 16/9 success
March 13, 2008 06:09PM
heres the workflow.

I filmed in 4/3 ( or what ever the defailt of a dvx100b is) edited 3/2 TL then once done switched to 16/9. I exported 16/9 fcp-qt self contained.
I created an m2v and aiff file for dvdsp. I used no menu in dvdsp burned the project as a strait burn. dvdsp was set to 16/9 sd.

I played the dvd in a normal crt 4:3 TV with 16/9 auto switch and there were no blk strips at the top and bottom of the screen and no pillar boxes either. It seems to be full screen.

I played it on an hd tv with the picture size set to normal and got pillars. I then set the tv to theatre wide1 and got full wide screen. The is another option that say full but it was grayed out.

i have watched movies that show the blk bars at the top and bottom of the screen on my 4/3 tv before the same movie played with the blk bars on my 4month old hdtv ( set to full ).

because the 'full' option was grayed i am thinking it was some thing i done in dvdsp or compressor.

what should i do to get the 16/9 blk bars top and bottom of my project?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Checking for 16/9 success
March 14, 2008 11:17AM
Not familiar with the camera, but how did you switch the image from 4:3 to 16:9 ? Was it originally anamorphic?

Did you set DVDSP preferences at startup to 16:9? Normally, before you do anything, you have to set the preferences, save the project, quit, and then open again for them to stick. Especially if you're switching preference settings from whatever it starts with (usually the last last saved setup).

Clay
March 15, 2008 02:19AM
Not familiar with the camera, but how did you switch the image from 4:3 to 16:9 ?

i switch the tl setting to 16/9 and 16/9 all encodes, dvdsp also.

Was it originally anamorphic?

This question was the one that i just asked myself earlier. Although i was applying question to the tl and not the footage. The answer is NO. and this is where i think i screwed it up. It's the lack of a 133.33 blow up i believe is the problemo.

Though in my canvas it looks like full 16/9 with no pillars the motion tab>scale is at 100.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 15, 2008 02:23AM
oops i meant 133.33 distortion

""""
March 15, 2008 02:42AM
i was trying to post an image but no luck. im just to damn sleeping to try harder 37hrs strait.

""""
March 17, 2008 10:01AM
Lovely post by Jude..

[www.kenstone.net]
March 17, 2008 11:26AM
look at this:

before

then i set the TL to 16/9. notice the canvas.

then i -33.33 distorted

the project you see on screen is a clip from a pre-edited show. the text can not be edited in this tl.. I am simply rerunning it.

is this distortion too much for a a pre-edited clip. will the text just be come a nasty artifacts. i do not have an external monitor that will show 16/9.

""""
March 17, 2008 11:48AM
The frame in the 2nd pic looked okay- that's 16:9 FHA, just that your picture isn't. The last one is way off for 16:9. you should be hitting 33.33 (not -33.33)
March 17, 2008 05:54PM
+33.33 stretches it the wrong way. images look tall and people look like they are super skinny.

With -33.33 i am even seeing the 16/9 in a different crappy tv with 16/9.

I haven't burned a dvd yet but ill let you know.

""""
March 19, 2008 12:19PM
at +33.33 it will look like your first image, letterboxed on a crt, and FHA on a 16:9 tv (check your tv settings). unless the first image is squashed.
March 19, 2008 06:57PM
i exported ntsc anamorphic from fcp to a fcp movie. i encode thru compressor anamorphic.

and then i burned 16/9.

yep i got 16/9 as expected but it only looks good (terrific) in a 4/3 crt. On a widescreen lcd it sits in the middle when the tv is set to normal, and looks horizontally stretched on full. on widescreen hd it looks very red and slightly blurred. on 4/3 spectacular.

i think i better keep this one to normal 4/3 and start shooting in 16/9 from here out.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics