OT: Avid merging the Avid Xpress Pro software into the Avid Media Composer

Posted by Michael Horton 
OT: Avid merging the Avid Xpress Pro software into the Avid Media Composer
March 17, 2008 11:38AM
Avid will drop Avid Express Pro and merge it into Media composer and drop the price by 50%

Plus they are revamping their "community" pages to be more like lafcpug.

smiling bouncing smiley

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

More on this here:

[community.avid.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: OT: Avid merging the Avid Xpress Pro software into the Avid Media Composer
March 17, 2008 12:44PM
> Plus they are revamping their "community" pages to be more like lafcpug.

Since I'm the copyright hound:

Shouldn't you get paid for this, Mike? smileys with beer

www.derekmok.com
March 17, 2008 01:06PM
I am paid with friendships Derek.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 17, 2008 01:22PM
I am a excited. Still a tad overpriced...should be $1995. And then they STILL have that stupid MOJO...No enterprise class card like the AJA or DECKLINK...unless you go REALLY big and get Adrenaline.

Still...makes one ponder. Sorry..I like both.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 17, 2008 01:42PM
$495 upgrade path for Express Pro users is a heck of a deal.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 17, 2008 01:55PM
It's still way out of my price range, even at the student discount... I do need to learn it though. I found a free demo version a couple years back, but haven't been able to find it recently. Free's about all I can afford on anything new, since I've sunk about everything on a new system.
March 17, 2008 02:20PM
$295 is TOO EXPENSIVE? Dude...bag groceries for a month or something. That's a bloody PITTANCE.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 17, 2008 03:03PM
Wow...this is big news...and you just saved me $50 as I was going to upgrade my Express Pro to 5.8. $495 for a Media Composer? Are you KIDDING ME?? No Brainer...will be upgrading my Express Pro as soon as the update's posted. Those of you that think this is out of range (even at the STUDENT DISCOUNT???) don't know what you're getting.

Avid is finally taking that step to be competitive with FCP. Seems like a move based on fear if you ask me winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 17, 2008 07:47PM
That is some serious news... and for all the AVID bashing that goes on around here, it's funny that I find out about the Media Composer upgrade here. What really speaks volumes is an attempt to re-model the online community... This group is a pretty invaluable resource.

When AVID starts making changes to the timeline interface, then you'll see the fear. It's a good press release, anyways. Appears AVID's new management team is getting serious about addressing customer complaints.
Sam
March 17, 2008 08:15PM
Brilliant news. This will mean that both companies will have to keep the heat on to compete in the same market. Up till now Apple has been innovating the pants off Avid, and doing it a lot cheaper.

Mind you, I still feel good about Apple for the fact that it has been doing all the leg work even without a serious competitor in its price range to date.
March 17, 2008 08:41PM
Indeed $495 upgrade price is a steal! And $295 student discount is probably the smartest thing they've done in a long while. I'll upgrade my copy of Xpro as well.

Like Shane said, the hardware side is another issue and I don't see that changing. That's where they make the serious money. They really should just concentrate on software and license 3rd party like AJA and Blackmagic and even canopus! Well, maybe not...

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
March 17, 2008 11:45PM
Oh. Hah. I definitely thought I saw: Student price is $2495, and that is definitely too much. $295 has definitely made my mind start turning.

My bad on misreading the price cool smiley
March 19, 2008 01:10AM
>>for all the AVID bashing that goes on around here<<

Is there a lot of Avid bashing? I feel like we don't really spend a lot of time on that, or give a lot of head to it, but maybe I'm not reading the forum with Avid eyes. Do you feel that there are a lot of Anti-Avid posts?

March 19, 2008 01:33AM
There isn't much bashing of any NLE's - HDV on the other hand...

But there's definitely an Apple can do no wrong vibe here.
March 19, 2008 09:58AM
No Avid bashing here...which is what I love about this community. Mention FCP on the Avid-L & Avid Community Forums and they jump on you like a starving junkyard dog jumps on a guy wearing a suit made out of raw meat. FCP is "substandard" to them and they flame you into the ground. You have to have a really tough skin...or just don't go back. After this most recent news, I went back for the first time in almost 5 years. Same idiots bashing Apple & FCP.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 19, 2008 06:21PM
[Mention FCP on the Avid-L & Avid Community Forums and they jump on you like a starving junkyard dog jumps on a guy wearing a suit made out of raw meat.]

There is assuredly a snot-factor in the Avid camp, which turned me off a long time ago. Far too much time posturing.

We know FCP's weaknesses. We know Avid's too.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
March 19, 2008 08:00PM
>>there's definitely an Apple can do no wrong vibe here.<<

Yeah, personally though I think there are a lot of things that Apple could fix (and I assume, will fix) what I really hate is people who rant that FCP sucks because it can't do X, when in fact it can do X very well, and they just have no idea what they are doing.

This is where a lot of the fear of using Apple comes from, and it drives me crazy.

For example, when I was getting a new computer for my mother, one of her friends told her that she wouldn't be able to use the internet with a Mac.

She also got, 'you won't be able to read any of our documents' (it's not a problem), 'it's way more expensive than a PC' (it was actually cheaper than the comparative product) and a bunch of other scaremongering false factoids from people who don't even own Microsoft shares. I mean, like, 60 year old women, with no vested interest. I have no idea why this is.

Apple, Mac and FCP are by no means perfect, but they are also not the spawn of the devil to be reviled and spat apon like non-users seem to do.

March 19, 2008 08:12PM
What gets me is that Avid users (me included) will curse and swear at the Avid for not doing something right, or for crashing, or when we are on hold with tech support for 4 hours or were told that the latest upgrade will handle something that it in fact DOES NOT. Yet will turn around and say how this is the greatest thing since sliced bread and FCP is a toy for 10 year olds (me NOT included on that one). Someone will say to my face "Avid is great, FCP sucks..." then 2 hours later swear at the thing from the other room.

But FCP users do the same thing...say how wonderful it is and defend it to the death, yet curse when FCP can't do something, or an update breaks their system.

Nothings perfect....get over it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 19, 2008 08:19PM
> one of her friends told her that she wouldn't be able to use the internet with a Mac

Ha ha. That's a good one.

> She also got, 'you won't be able to read any of our documents'

It's precisely the other way around...PCs can't read many Mac documents; most Macs can read most PC documents, and have done so for years. They seem to have missed the logic that, due to general market share, it's more important for Macs to be compatible with PC files than vice versa.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics