Reduce large room reverb/echo

Posted by shelleyrae 
Reduce large room reverb/echo
March 26, 2008 11:51AM
Hi --

I have some video with bad audio. It's a speaker in a large room talking to the audience. Even though she was miked separately there is lots of reverb and echo in the room - almost like there was a slight delay with the PA or something.

What filters can I try in Soundtrack or FC that may reduce the reverb. Also she sounds tinny - so I would like to beef up her voice some.

I'm not expecting a miracle -- just some noticeable improvement.

Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Reduce large room reverb/echo
March 26, 2008 01:00PM
for the most part you cant kill room echoecho.

best thing to do in these situations is to get a direct feed from the board and kill any ambient mics. or get a really good shotgun mic.
March 26, 2008 04:59PM
You need to use EQ?s to narrow the bandwidth to an area where there is most talk and least amount of ambience. Usually this will be around 400Hz -2 KHz. You can then apply compressor and limiter to sculpt the sound and add some more ?beefiness? to that. It will sound very ?robotic? but at least it will be intelligible. Do this in Soundtracks. Compared to ?semi-sucky? FCP audio editing capabilities, it rocks! Those fancy graphics even let you ?see? the sound to gain a better understanding what goes on when you apply different filters.

There is no way you can make the problem disappear. What you can do is make it a little bit less distracting.
March 26, 2008 07:08PM
Also, make sure you are only listening to the mike, not the second audio track which (probably) is the camera mike, picking up the room noise.

If you have two tracks of audio connected to the speaker, try turning one down and see if this helps. If it sounds worse, turn the other one down.

If it's 'stereo', unlink the stereo first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics