HELP! trouble exporting from FCP into a WMV

Posted by hunterlee 
HELP! trouble exporting from FCP into a WMV
March 28, 2008 03:01AM
I'm using Flip Mac to export my timeline into a WMV. I purchased Flip MAc pro. WHen the file is finished exporting. I get a wmv.file that plays "unrendered". I notice that when i chose "export to quicktime" my rendered timelime became red. I have no idea whats wrong or what to do

Mac pro
8 gigs of ram
Latest version of FCP
Re: HELP! trouble exporting from FCP into a WMV
March 28, 2008 03:29AM
WMV is not an editing codec. You need to open this with Quicktime to see it, not try to play it in FCP. Right now you are telling the computer to change from your normal codec to WMV, then render back into you normal codec for display in FCP.

So the answer is that there is nothing wrong. Just export as a WMV and then open in Quicktime to view.

The red timeline seems to be a new thing that happens when you are exporting. It should go away once the export is done.

March 28, 2008 08:34AM
This just happened to me last night on a new client's machine.

I still needed to do a full render before exporting using Flip4Mac. All my graphics showed up in the WMV as "unrendered", even though they played in the timeline.

I don't know if there is a F4M setting to change. I just did a Render All with all the options checked, and then re-exported the WMV and everything came out as expected.

(I use the old Popwire WMP component on my own machine. I don't even have to render when clips have a red render line in the timeline if I'm going to WMV on my rig. Is there a setting in F4M?)

deb
March 28, 2008 08:46AM
It's a bug in Flip4Mac but if you'd have gone to their tech support forum they might have helped you through this. Their tech support is free.
March 28, 2008 09:26AM
Since it's not my machine & I have never used their products, and I found a solution, digging through a support forum or posting a question and waiting for a response probably would have taken a lot longer than my solution.

Is there a more you could share with the class about this, Craig?

deb
March 28, 2008 09:43AM
Usually they respond to support questions within 24 hours and sometimes even one hour. They don't ask anything about whether you "own" the product unless you're having an activation issue. The support is also for the free Flip4Mac player.

When using Flip4Mac with FCP you should go to Sequence Render All and Render Selection and select all the render state (colors). Of course you could export a movie and encode in QuicktimePro or Compressor. Flip4Mac works in both as well as Squeeze and Cleaner.
March 28, 2008 09:45AM
...and my solution took 40 minutes.

deb
March 28, 2008 09:50AM
But it was slightly inaccurate. With Flip4Mac Player Pro you can certainly edit WMV or WMV wrapped in MOV. That's exactly what Player Pro is for. That does need to be rendered just as you would when putting any codec in a sequence which is based on another codec . . . but that's NOT the reason why one gets Unrendered in the exported WMV. That's because Flip4Mac needs to see a complete sequence render before compression which is not the case with other codecs. Flip4Mac folks are looking at a possible fix for that. I'm a beta tester.
March 28, 2008 10:14AM
What was inaccurate? I did a Render All and then used the Export using QuickTime Conversion and selected Windows Media and chose the preset the staff editor told me to use.

40 minutes.

deb
March 28, 2008 10:28AM
WMV is not an editing codec. You need to open this with Quicktime to see it, not try to play it in FCP.

Maybe not directly related to your issue but you certainly can edit WMV in FCP with Flip4Mac Player Pro. That's its purpose. FCP wouldn't import WMV without it.

This is not related to getting "unrendered" in export which is a Flip4Mac Studio series bug.
March 28, 2008 10:34AM
Oh, I see. I wasn't the one who posted that.

I can see how you might tie that into my question.

deb
March 28, 2008 11:01AM
It looked like two different issues were getting confused (not by you) but I also didn't want others following the thread to get confused.

Just to help those who might be confused.

Flip4Mac Player Pro does allow one to edit WMV in FCP but you have to render since it's not a sequence codec.

Flip4Mac Studio series has an issue where you have to select/check all render states otherwise you may get the big red "unrendered" in your encode.

BTW the Popwire WMV component would also conflict with Flip4Mac WMV component. Development on the Popwire component stopped a loooong time ago. Popwire was bought by the folks who bring you Flip4Mac. Of course there's no conflict if you're not using Flip4Mac but since many folks have the free Flip4Mac player, the conflict may be there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics