INSERT EDIT

Posted by vincent_heat 
INSERT EDIT
March 27, 2008 05:36PM
Is there a function on FCP (version 5.0) that deals with the issue of frame loss, in regards to negative cutting? Here's the example: You have a video clip on the timeline, you make an Insert Edit in the middle of that clip. When you cut negative, the frame before and after the cut is destroyed, right? So, is there a way to make that Insert Edit w/o going in and trimming one frame before and after the edit? Hope this makes sense.
Re: INSERT EDIT
March 27, 2008 06:06PM
NO, it doesn't make sense. If you insert a shot in the middle of a clip, say between the :15 and :16 frames...those frames are still there. The clip will be split in two...one ending at :15, then you clip, then back to the first clip at :16. No lost frames.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 27, 2008 06:58PM
It has been a very long time since I have had to deal with this issue, but years ago I do remember that any edit to negative would in fact destroy the adjacent frame. This has to do with the way the film is cut to be glued together by the negative cutter.

The whole idea behind electronic editing tho is to avoid having to remake edits to camera negative. You are supposed finish all the editing and revision BEFORE you take a blade to the film. Even tho the frames are lost at the splice, you never see them because it is the frame before your incoming shot, and the frame after your outgoing shot.

That all sounds like I know more than I actually do. If you are going to have your film conformed to your cut to finish I would think it a wise investment to buy your negative cutter lunch and pick his brain early in the process.

-Vance
March 27, 2008 10:40PM
Umm... I don't completely understand the problem, but I'll take a stab at it. Here's what I'm thinking you're asking:
You are doing an offline edit, and the final edit will be done on negative. When the negative is edited, the frame before and after the edit points will be destroyed- so you want to make sure these destroyed frames don't appear anywhere else in your edit. Am I right?
If this is what you're asking, then what you want (I think) is this: User Preferences->Editing tab. There is a part that says "dupe detection" with sliders for Threshold and Handles. This would make sure that those frames that will be destroyed will be found when you look for dupe frames.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics