Running into limit on how many markers I can place in an interview clip

Posted by Jvasey 
Running into limit on how many markers I can place in an interview clip
April 14, 2008 08:37PM
I have FCP 6.0.3 and QT 7.4.5 but the issue I am describing also exists in earlier versions of FCP 6. I am working on documentary material. I usually divide the interviews into subclips. Within that subclip I will create markers to tag key phrases of dialogue from the interviewee. I have found that once I get past about 2 "browser" screen pages of markers (about 50) generated by one interview (I work with dual 17" monitors), the FCP browser will not show the creation of any additional new markers even though I see them in the viewer window. Today it only let me attach about 30 markers to one interview clip.

At first, I though it was a screen refresh problem. So I closed the project and reopened. Now some of the markers I had created in the viewer window...the most recent ones which didn't show up in the browser window...are gone. However, about two screens worth of marker text entries are still there.

I have tried this with other subclips and have experienced the same problem. It is AS IF there is a LIMIT THAT FLUCTUATES to how many MARKER TEXT ENTRIES can be associated with one subclip. My temporary workaround will be to create 2 or 3 subclips of the same interview, part 1, 2, and 3 to try and get around this.

Has anyone else who has used markers a lot in interview clips experienced this same behavior in any version of FCP 6? If it is widespread, it's very frustrating for documentary work and should be put on a list of things for Apple to correct in the future. I've emailed them a bug report on their feedback form.

Thanks,

John

OSX 10.5.2, 4 GB RAM, Mac Pro
Re: Running into limit on how many markers I can place in an interview clip
April 14, 2008 10:33PM
I believe that is an intermittent bug that's been around for donkey's. The solution is to open the bin in its own tab. Put the interview clip(s) in a new bin, then option double click the bin to open it as a tab in the browser. Sometimes trashing preferences helps too.

April 16, 2008 11:45PM
Hi, Jude...

Your information really helped solve my problem. A big thank you!

First, trashing the FCP prefs made a big difference and I found myself able to generate more markers were saved successfully in the browser.

Second, for those markers that were still stubborn and not wanting to be saved, I tried putting that interview clip into a bin of its own, option and double-clicked on it to open as a tab in the browser, and then that allowed me to continue creating and saving markers.

So, for now, this was a workaround that really worked...I can now make more headway on my documentary.

Maybe Apple will fix this bug some day...until then, thanks again for your advice!

John
April 17, 2008 02:01AM
> for those markers that were still stubborn and not wanting to be saved

You also know markers are specific to the master and affiliate clips, right? If you open the master clip in the Browser and add markers they'll appear in the Browser, but if you're applying the markers to an instance of that clip in the timeline, then only that affiliate clip will have those markers.

Also, if you really are running out of markers, try duplicating the master clip, making it independent and then clearing it of the old markers in order to add new ones.

www.derekmok.com
April 24, 2008 06:56PM
Hi, Derek...

Yes, I do understand the master/affiliate relationship with regards to markers/clips. My process has been to put markers on the master clip in the viewer so they will follow other uses of that clip elsewhere.

For now, the easiest workaround (as Jude suggested) is to option/doubleclick the master clip in the broswer so it then opens in its own tab. And in doing it that way, I have not yet run into a limit on the number of markers I can enter.

I will also experiment with your tip of duping the master clip, making it independent, and then clear old markers to add new ones.

Thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated.

John

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics