Vignettes

Posted by strypes 
Vignettes
April 26, 2008 09:32AM
Hey guys, was wondering when do you guys actually use a vignette? Do you cut straight to a vignetted close up like in old Hollywood romance films?
Re: Vignettes
April 26, 2008 09:53AM
heavily treated supercar footage loves a good vignette ... check out Top Gear. nary a check-out-this-car scene goes by without a vignette creeping in somewhere. good stuff tho
April 26, 2008 11:50AM
An extremely subtle vignette is often a really simple way of focusing a part of the picture, it can also lend more depth to the frame.

I very rarely use a heavy vignette unless its n old film look they are going for.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 26, 2008 01:26PM
blue tinted stark scenes often look good with a soft vig. especially if you are trying to show disillusion or distant emotions.

i once use a vig on a ballet dancers solo and a motorcycle jump.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 26, 2008 11:29PM
I've used it a couple of times, once over a cheesy flashback scenes, another on close ups on a slimming ad, but never the huge dark ones. I'm curious about the illusion of depth that vignettes can create, and how often should one use it before it starts feeling like tunnel vision... Would you use it in quick montages?
April 26, 2008 11:37PM
There's an example in this tutorial, right near the bottom. It's the eiffel tower shot. It just enhances the picture.

Colour My World

April 26, 2008 11:49PM
Ahh... the lovely Jude Cotter... That's interesting... will you cut to that solitary vignette shot in a steady paced montage, or will you vignette the entire section? I just wanna see how far i can go on vignettes and how i can use it effectively- i'm currently working on a bunch of corporate vids so it's about making things pretty.
April 27, 2008 12:22AM
It depends on the style of the piece, but a subtle vignette like that one could go in pretty much without missing a beat. You can also use them as focusers by substituting blur for darkening.

Like Andy says, Top gear does it on almost every shot. I was thinking of doing a tutorial on the 'Top Gear effect' recently, actually.

April 27, 2008 12:47AM
And by the way, I'm not nearly as lovely as Derek. tongue sticking out smiley

April 27, 2008 01:27AM
[Do you cut straight to a vignetted close up like in old Hollywood romance films?]

Some of those classics started full-frame and "vignetted in," suppressing all extremis. A focusing device, as mentioned.

That Eiffel tower shot is quite nice, very much how the eye often deals with magic hour contrast.

- Loren
Photo scan rates demystified!
ScanGuide? Pro compact reference now at
www.neotrondesign.com
April 27, 2008 01:34AM
Jude if i was looking at the magic bullet looks sweet would you consider these plugs to be an alternative? minus the instant hd.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 27, 2008 02:18AM
> Some of those classics started full-frame and "vignetted in," suppressing all extremis.

I noticed a straight cut to a vignetted close up of a woman in quite a few of those films. I'd think cutting to a huge dark vignette to be a cardinal sin. "Vignetting in" isn't a very good option on the default fx plug in FCP. It doesn't move in smoothly.
April 27, 2008 02:32AM
>And by the way, I'm not nearly as lovely as Derek.

Always the lovely man- Derek.
April 27, 2008 03:01AM
I don't know that any set of plugs is a straight substitute for any other. You just have to get what works for what you do, and what you can afford. I like the Grading Suite ones a lot, but of course there are other things it doesn't do for which I have other plugs. It's up to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics