Help REVERT--DEADLINE

Posted by Julian Lang 
Help REVERT--DEADLINE
April 30, 2008 02:45PM
I am working on FCP 5+. I edited a sequence (of 7 sequences) and I now want to revert the contents of that particular sequence to the content I began with this morning. Can I do that? Revert a single sequence.

I want all of the changes that I made to the original sequence and which I subsequently imported into a new sequence that I will burn (it's a condensed trailer-type version) AND I want the original material.

I inadvertently edited the original sequence.

DEADLINE looming.

thanks
Re: Help REVERT--DEADLINE
April 30, 2008 02:47PM
Word: Autosave Vault. Check for date, time, and load.
April 30, 2008 03:28PM
And next time...DUPLICATE YOUR SEQUENCES. Before you make changes, duplicate the sequence so that if something doesn't work out, you can always go back to the way you had it before...easily.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 30, 2008 04:48PM
Adding to Shane's note: Duplicating Sequences to preserve works in progress is indeed a useful device, but you have to have a logical, numeric, absolutely clear labelling system. I've seen so many editors (including one of my editing mentors) have "Sequence 1", "Final Sequence", "Final Sequence Copy" and "Sequence LOCKED PIC" in their Browser, it drives me nuts. Those suckers don't do you any good whatsoever unless you can tell, in one glance, without checking the content, six months from now, which Sequence is newer and which one is older, and which one is in between.

I'm not for date-stamping Sequences -- those names expire in one day and become very confusing if edits last weeks and weeks, forcing you to rename them everyday and making the same edited content have way more names than necessary over multiple project files. I use version numbers. So my Sequences would look like:

Sequence 101 1st Cut Assembly
Sequence 102A 2nd Cut EDITOR'S CUT
Sequence 102B 2nd Cut Alt DIRECTOR'S CUT
Sequence 401 4th Cut Presentation
Sequence 501 5th Cut APPROVED
(for commercials, where only one Sequence/timeline is needed per version)

Sequence 101 Opening Titles
Sequence 102 Character Entrance
Sequence 103 Chase
Sequence 201 Opening Titles
("201" is Version 2, Scene 1, and so on. If the film had more than 99 scenes, I'd use Sequence 1001; if it's likely the film would have more than 99 versions, I might use a system like "V001-S001, or Version 1 Scene 1. If you have over 999 scenes and 999 versions...ouch!)

www.derekmok.com
April 30, 2008 06:01PM
lots of advice, but none of these suggestions actually answer the question! smiling smiley
the question being how to revert to the CONTENT of a sequence edited into another. (or how to De-Nest a nested sequence)

you CAN do that, and it's relatively painless:
i've got a how-to i'll paste here, but first can i ask why you feel you need to do this?
if you were making an EDL or an OMF, i could understand
but if you are burning, then what's the problem?

anyway here's the how to;
it only looks a bit daunting because i went into a lot of detail:

====================================================

NESTS: How to De-Nest

I've been editing from Sequences I've loaded into the viewer,
and now my timeline is all NESTS, not CLIPS!
How do i get back to having clips in the timeline?

OVERVIEW

? Open the nest from the timeline into the viewer.
? From there, make a subclip.
? A new "Sub Sequence" appears in the browser TRIMMED TO JUST THE SECTION USED.
? You then Apple-drag that back to the timeline.

PROCESS

Once you get in the swing of this, it can all happen relatively quickly, assuming you have simple sequences.
Complex sequences involve more, work, and in particular split edits require more detailed approach.

? Make a copy of the sequence,
? Make a new bin in the browser and put the copied sequence in it. (Add some asterisks to it so it's name sits at the top). Open the bin in it's own tab, (option double click on it).

? Open the first nest into the viewer.
In a simple timeline, that's just a matter of parking on the nest, and hitting return. Otherwise, select the nest and hit return, or OPTION Double-clcik on it, or even just drag it into the viewer
? Apple U to make a sequence subclip or "Sub-Sequnce"
the new trimmed sequence subclip appears in the browser in the new bin.

? Apple 1 to go back to the viewer.
? Down arrow to take you to the next clip,
? Apple U again.

Each new "Sub-Sequnce" gets labelled "Sequence Name - subclip" then "Sequence Name - subclip1" etc.
They're sequentially numbered, so they sort in the original order.

If that is not the case you'll need to number each "Sub-Sequnce" as it's made.
Don't worry about detailed names, simple 1, 2, 3 is all you need to keep them in order

? When you have a few, you can drag them back to the timeline.
Hold APPLE before you release the "Sub Sequences" into the timeline, and you will get the CONTENTS of the Sub Sequence, not a Nest

? Delete the "Sub Sequences" from the browser, and continue.

TIPS:

Don't do too many at once.
Do three for starters, then build up to twenty or so. Take it further if you feel you can.
NB: you'd have to stop a series when you come to a gap in the timeline

Apple dragging
The trick to Apple dragging multiple Sequences:
Select,
Drag from browser,
Line them up on a track above the nested versions.
You should be able to see clearly if they are lined up correctly. Having snapping turned on is essential for this.
NOW hold Apple.
If the nests contain multiple edits, you will see the "ghost image" of the nests you're holding change from single nests to multiple clips.
NOW let go.

After you've dropped them there, double check close up before you do the next group.

Check your Work
Before saying the job is done, verify that everything has landed where it should have.

Drag the entire track of original nests up to new track above everything else.
Re-size them, or reduce their opacity.
check the original nest against the de-nested clips.

When satisfied, DELETE the nests and SAVE your project.
You may well see a significant reduction in you project file size, as lots of nests made from long sequences can really bloat a project.

SPLIT AUDIO

There's a bit of a gotcha if you have split edits on your nested sequences:
The new "Sub Sequnce" only takes the duration of the picture.

A couple of things you could do include:

1. Do picture in one pass, then sound in another
DRAWBACK: Audio and Video will no longer be linked
2. Re-create the split, using the edits in the Nested Sequnce as a guide.
DRAWBACK: Given that the nest contains many cuts, you may well lose important edits

A more thorough workaround:

Go thru your timeline finding any audio splits and blade them off
Also be on the lookout for any NON SYNC nested audio.
Move those sections to a clean set of tracks.

Go through the de-nesting process for your picture.

When done, go through the timeline again and individually attack the nested audio splits.
You cant do them in batches as most likely there will be gaps between them
At most you could do 2.

===================================================

nick
April 30, 2008 07:22PM
> the question being how to revert to the CONTENT of a sequence edited into another.

Nick, I'm pretty sure he wasn't just asking about de-nesting -- he was asking about de-nesting and reversion to an old version from this morning. And he said he wanted the "changed" version as well as the "unchanged" version. With Undos all run out and no backup copies, Autosave Vault was his only option. The de-nesting becomes moot if he can't do this.

www.derekmok.com
April 30, 2008 09:04PM
my bad.
to tell the truth, re-reading the post, i'm now more confused than before.

nm
May 01, 2008 12:30AM
Yôotva. Thanks.
May 01, 2008 12:31AM
No excuses. Just plain dumb acting. Deadlines-mode is my only defense.
May 01, 2008 12:33AM
Thanks for your thoughtful answer. It's been great and I retrieved the data fine.
May 01, 2008 12:37AM
Thanks for your time on this. Fortunately I didn't have to go through the process but as we all know--eventually we all must go through it. I just installed FCP Studio version 6.0.1. It's a giant step up from 4.5+ and especially nice with my new Core 2 Duo laptop. I'm doing more and more video projects and loving it. So, once again thanks to you and to all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics