Opening 4.5 media files in 6.0.1

Posted by Julian Lang 
Opening 4.5 media files in 6.0.1
May 01, 2008 10:46AM
I have several unfinished video projects created in fcp 4.5. I'd like to resume working on them using 6.0.1. Is there a protocol for converting up like I plan? Concerns?

All are saved to an external hd. I'd like to remove fcp 4.5 and free up valuable internal hd space on my older Mac.
Re: Opening 4.5 media files in 6.0.1
May 01, 2008 10:56AM
The media files should be unaffected, no matter what version you are using. The project files, however, are a different story, If you're *very* lucky, you might be able to do it, but it's usually a bad idea to switch versions mid-project. Once you save your project in 6.0.1, you can't go back.

These comments are based on my past "bads". I'm sure some of the "big guns" will weigh in...

- vic
May 01, 2008 10:57AM
> I have several unfinished video projects created in fcp 4.5. I'd like to resume working on them
> using 6.0.1. Is there a protocol for converting up like I plan? Concerns?

Yes. Backup, backup, backup. Project-file upgrades can result in strange bugs both big and small. Backup your original, unmolested FCP4.5 project file, date/time-stamp it, and put some indicator on it that tells you it's an older version (for example, "titanic_050108_0847_fcp4"winking smiley. Also, make a full-quality QuickTime movie of the edit with the older FCP version. If any edits get moved, it's useful to have a simple picture reference in case you need edits. Once you've backed up the older project file safely, you can move more freely and not have to worry as much about having modified your older work.

www.derekmok.com
May 01, 2008 11:20AM
Agreed. Back up, because things might happen, especially with a fcp 4 to fcp 6 jump. You should also export a lower quality scqt (just like if you're shifting stations to an online facility).
May 01, 2008 08:03PM
But given all these things, it is theoretically possible.

I actually just grabbed an old TVC project skeleton from FCP 2 last week and opened it in 6.0.1.

From memory, I had to add the extension .fcp in order for 6.0.1 to see it as a viable file. Also, I think it may have complained that some media was different length or something, but I ignored this and it was all OK and synched.

It is a good idea to have a SCQT to reference though, my project was only 30 seconds long, so not so much can go wrong.

May 01, 2008 08:38PM
Thanks All. Since I have so little free hard drive space available, about 7 GBs, should I copy to a camera and dv tape?

The project files in question is are as much as 10 minutes and as little as 3.5 minutes. There's about 4 projects.
May 01, 2008 08:41PM
Yeah, DV tapes fine for backup, especially if your master it DV. Check the entire thing for glitches before dumping your originals though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics