capturing HDV that was logged and captured previously as downconverted DV

Posted by alanta 
capturing HDV that was logged and captured previously as downconverted DV
May 04, 2008 10:45PM
Thanks in advance for all the help I have received here over the years.

I have a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 w/ 1.5 GB Ram running FCP 5.0.4 on OS X 10.4.11.

For the past few years I have been shooting short sales videos on my Sony Z1-U in HDV and outputting to FCP downconverted DV with edges cropped. This has all worked great! Now, I am updating a few projects with more footage shot this week in HDV that I want to incorporate with last years footage, only this time I want to edit everything in HDV.

Is there an easy way to copy the logged shots out of last years Browser (that was a DV project) and import them into this years project (that is HDV) and just recapture the media? Basically, I am trying to save the hassle of having to log everything again!

Thanks for any help!
Re: capturing HDV that was logged and captured previously as downconverted DV
May 05, 2008 01:16AM
Good question, I face that sometime soon. You should Media Manage your project into a new project "projectname_HDV" and Create Offline media for the duplicate project-- this doesn't affect your existing DV media, it merely copies the clips as offline media -- and set the codec for that offline media as whatever HDV flavor you need to recapture. This is the Apple-recommended workflow for uprezzing. Before you do this, check all QT clips for correct REEL numbers!!

The issue with HDV/DV timecode match concerns me, though. I haven't yet tested my own HDV! Wish I had seat time in this one.

Do a small test. Report back.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 05, 2008 10:25AM
Loren,

Thanks for the reply. The nature of my projects are quite simple and as a result I have never used Media Manager before. I will remember that for next time, but to get through this dilemma, I just copied the ins and outs from the clips I wanted in the old projects in to Log and Capture for each of the new projects (no more than 12 clips in each project) and it worked great. Only took about 1/2 hour and I ended up not capturing a bunch of footage that I knew I would never use.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Alan Tavener
It's About Time Productions
[www.youtube.com]
May 05, 2008 10:38AM
> I just copied the ins and outs from the clips I wanted in the old projects in to Log and Capture for
> each of the new projects

Obviously Media Manager was the way to go, but to make current clips into logs within Log and Capture, all you had to do was drag and drop the clip into Log and Capture -- with the added advantage that the clip's metadata (Log Notes, Reel Name etc.) will be included in the new log. Twelve clips should take more like two minutes.

www.derekmok.com
May 05, 2008 12:03PM
[ Only took about 1/2 hour and I ended up not capturing a bunch of footage that I knew I would never use. ]

What Derek said. Also if you select Delete Unused Media checkbox your offline sequence clips will be trimmed in your new project and you shouldn't be capturing any more than your sequence media plus any handles you specified during management.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 05, 2008 01:54PM
Both excellent tips... I never would have imagined that I could just drag and drop in to Log and Capture. I won't fear making these changes the next time!

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics