Dropped frames when using Digital Cinema Desktop Preview

Posted by jkbeal 
Dropped frames when using Digital Cinema Desktop Preview
May 03, 2008 08:28PM
Hi,

I am working on a DV NTSC project and have encountered constant problems with dropped frames, ONLY when enabling either my MacBook Pro or Cinema Display as a desktop preview monitor. The system is choking on the simplest of sequences and clips. It will drop frames on a single static text over black clip or single track fade. My sequence settings and media settings are all in agreement, I've run DiskWarrior on my Elite Media Pro 1TB FW800 drive, I've trashed preferences, I've restarted, I've tried an alternate FW cable. All to no avail. And here's the strange thing...

If I recompress the same sequence as a Pro Res 422 HD sequence, I don't get any dropped frames with the Desktop Preview.

I am running a brand new MacBook Pro 17", an up-to-date version of FCS 2, and a 30" Cinema Display. I find all of this very odd and annoying. As you all know, this gear isn't cheap and I should think that a brand new Mac should be able to handle DV. Anyone else having this problem or know of a possible solution?

Thanks!

--
Josh
Re: Dropped frames when using Digital Cinema Desktop Preview
May 05, 2008 02:54PM
[ I should think that a brand new Mac should be able to handle DV. ]

It certainly should, although I don't know what an Elite drive is or who makes it.

Is anything else connected to FireWire ports?
Disconnect them.

Do you have Real Time Video Scopes enabled in the Timeline RT popup menu?
Disable it.

Do you have Show Excess Luma enabled in the Canvas popup?
Disable it.

Have you tried scaling back Playback Quality in the timeline popup menu?
Disable it.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 05, 2008 04:23PM
Hi, Loren. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. The Elite drive is made by OTC. [eshop.macsales.com]

Supposedly it's comparable to a G-Tech drive but I have encountered the same problem when running media off of my G-Tech drive as well, so I don't think it's a bad drive.

I do not have Real Time Video scopes up or the Excess Luma enabled. I have tried disconnecting all other FW and USB devices. This didn't help unfortunately.

Yes, if I scale back my Playback Quality, I don't seem to have dropped frames, but if it is set to Dynamic, it drops frames. The lesser quality playback however isn't acceptable to use, especially with a producer or director.

Thanks for your thoughts, but it seems there's something else going on.
May 05, 2008 09:27PM
What happens when you disconnect the 30" monitor? That thing puts a lot of weight on a laptop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics