SPLIT SCREEN

Posted by slomoray 
SPLIT SCREEN
May 18, 2008 11:31PM
Hi,
I would like to know how to build a regular split screen. Two screens, normal aspect ratio, using half of each to fill the screen. Not how to use multiple full screens. i'm not sure if this question was answered in previous split screen questions.
I have two videos of me on the same set, same exact angle, but on differents sides of a table. I would like to have me talking to me. How can I do this. Thanks for the help!!
Ray
Re: SPLIT SCREEN
May 19, 2008 12:04AM
Cut one video onto V1...then another to V2. Double click on the video on V2 to load it into the Viewer, click on the Motion tab and then adjust the scale to 50. Then adjust the CENTER and crop options as you see fit.

Do the same to the video on V1.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 19, 2008 12:13AM
> Cut one video onto V1...then another to V2. Double click on the video on V2 to load it into the
> Viewer, click on the Motion tab and then adjust the scale to 50. Then adjust the CENTER and
> crop options as you see fit.

Normally Shane's method is the way, but it sounds to me like you're trying to do a special effect -- where you split up two shots that merge seamlessly to appear as if they were the same shot, while you appear on both sides of what seems to be one shot. In that case, layer the shots on V1 and V2 as Shane described, then just use the Crop function in the Motion tab of each shot. Crop one shot Left 50 per cent (under Crop there are options for Left, Right, Top and Bottom; 100 would crop the entire picture) and one shot Right 50 per cent.

www.derekmok.com
May 19, 2008 05:05AM
not sure you'd need to crop them both necessarily, just the upper one ... but you will probably also have to make minor tweaks to position, scale and rotation of one or both in order to line them up properly.
May 19, 2008 09:01AM
> not sure you'd need to crop them both necessarily, just the upper one

True, true.

> ... but you will probably also have to make minor tweaks to position, scale and rotation of one or
> both in order to line them up properly.

If the shots need adjusting to merge, then they weren't really set up properly...and there are things like angles, lighting etc. that are pretty much impossible to correct in Final Cut Pro. But I assume he locked down the camera? I was doing this "two shots as one" technique as early as my first year in film school, using Adobe Premiere 4, and I did it while incorporating moving camera into the technique.

www.derekmok.com
May 19, 2008 09:19AM
>If the shots need adjusting to merge, then they weren't really set up properly

absolutely ... guilty of overthinking it again :/

>and I did it while incorporating moving camera into the technique

lordy, without a motion control camera rig? thats pretty nifty, how well did it work?
May 19, 2008 09:27AM
> without a motion control camera rig? thats pretty nifty, how well did it work?

Pretty well. The design was that the "merged" split-screen would split into two independent moving shots tracking two characters who are walking away from each other. I shot one moving shot that went into the static split-screen position, then shot the other side backwards, starting from the static split-screen position. The actress had to do her walking and acting backwards. The only glitch was that coming in and out of the static position the camera was a little jittery, but not bad for first year of film school.

Back from the diversion: Ray, do any of these answer your question?

www.derekmok.com
May 19, 2008 05:13PM
The answers to my question were exactly what I needed. To make it appear like I am talking to myself in one seamless shot. Thanks for all the help!
Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics