Andy Mees is a God

Posted by harry323 
Andy Mees is a God
May 19, 2008 05:04PM
Andy,

Harry here.

Thanks so much for writing that plug in of a grad neutral density filter.

I couldn't get back to you on the Apple website, so am trying to contact you here to thank you.

I haven't tried it out yet, but will do so later this evening.

I have a question for you about your "Andy's Guides". Can you tell me exactly what each box represents?

i.e. When I use this in 16x9, the RED box would appear to be a 4x3 frame. But is the WHITE box within that title safe or action safe for 4x3? What is the white box?

And if the BLUE and GREEN outside lines are action safe and title safe for 16x9, why aren't they boxes with tops and bottoms?

So what I'm getting at is that I'd like to set up "Andy's guides" to show SIMULTANEOUSLY:

1. 16x9 safe action

2. 16x9 safe title

3. 4x3 safe action within a 16x9 frame

4. 4x3 safe title within the 16x9 frame.

I guess I would do that by adjusting values, but I don't know what those values are.

I guess it's pretty obvious, but the purpose of this is for when I am doing titles for 4x3 and doing pan and scan versions for NTSC/PAL from 16x9 originals.

Any help appreciated - and thanks a million for the grad which I'll try out later today.

Oh, one other thing.

Is it possible too have Andy's Guides up there on screen permanently and NOT have it render with the video image - or does it not render anyway?

Best

Harry.
Re: Andy Mees is a God
May 19, 2008 05:11PM
Anytime you want to get a hold of anyone who has posted on this forum, simply click on his name (under the subject line) and click on "Send a Private Message." In this case, since the answer Andy will give will help others, it is appropriate to post publicly.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 19, 2008 05:19PM
Well, yes, Michael.

I didn't want to write to him privately. because I wanted to put this on LAFCPUG because I wanted people to have access to the filter that Andy so kindly wrote for me. Also, as I'm sure you know, he has a bunch of other cool filters up there at:

[web.mac.com]

They are free of charge.

AND he is a God.

Harry.
May 19, 2008 06:38PM
or since he is a god, just THINK your message.
he will know smiling smiley

thanks for posting for us mortals.

nick
May 19, 2008 09:38PM
I think Harry may be dyslexic... the way I normally hear it is "Andy Mess is a dog".
bj
May 19, 2008 10:34PM
lol
May 19, 2008 11:51PM
>When I use this in 16x9, the RED box would appear to be a 4x3 frame.

The all there in the controls Harry, if theres any confusion about which guide is which just toggle them all off and then enable one at a time to see which is which ...

By default:
the RED guide is showing Title Safe
the GREEN guide is showing Action Safe
the BLUE guides are showing Crop Safe ie what region of the image will be completely cropped
the WHITE guide is showing a Center Cross

all of the above colors can be set by you in the controls, so you set them as you prefer

additionally, there are WHITE guides which are Free Guides (user definable) used for lining up gfx / text placement

>But is the WHITE box within that title safe or action safe for 4x3? What is the white box?

that would be the Free Guides ... toggle them off if not wanted

>And if the BLUE and GREEN outside lines are action safe and title safe for 16x9, why aren't they boxes with tops and bottoms?

The BLUE lines are crop guides ... there is no top and bottom cropping in a 16:9 to 4:3/14:9 center cut, only the sides are cropped

>So what I'm getting at is that I'd like to set up "Andy's guides" to show SIMULTANEOUSLY:
>1. 16x9 safe action
>2. 16x9 safe title

they don't show 16:9 safe guides ... these are already shown by FCP

>3. 4x3 safe action within a 16x9 frame
>4. 4x3 safe title within the 16x9 frame.

Choose "Show Guides for:" 4:3
Toggle off Center Cross and Free Guides if not needed

>Is it possible too have Andy's Guides up there on screen permanently and NOT have it render with the video image - or does it not render anyway?

No, there's no SDK for adding the Guides as anything other than a Filter/Generator. You have to apply the guides as above and then remove or disable before final output. Please send in a feature request to the FCP feedback page at Apple. Its way past time the kind of basic functionality provided by this plugin was built-in.
May 20, 2008 12:16AM
And Lo !

He spake.

Thanks for the reply, Andy. I'd like to get back to you tomorrow with a couple of questions.

Many thanks again, O Wise One. I can barely believe that you made that plug in specially (sort of) for me. Will you marry me? Clearly you are of higher functionality than my three ex wives.

Best wishes,

Harry.
May 20, 2008 12:20AM
"I married him because he does the best plug-ins..."

Is that risqué or what? tongue sticking out smiley

www.derekmok.com
May 20, 2008 12:45AM
Oh dear. What have I started.

Harry.
May 20, 2008 11:15AM

Will you marry me? Clearly you are of higher functionality than my three ex wives.

Watch out, harry...it's tough to shack up with a burning bush...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 20, 2008 03:24PM
Oh no, look out, Nattress!

www.strypesinpost.com
May 26, 2008 01:14AM
Andy,

The grad plug in is terrific and I am using it a great deal.

Thank you so much.

Harry
May 26, 2008 12:53PM
You forgot "Amen" grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics