Changing speed for multiple clips on a timeline

Posted by MikeLA 
Changing speed for multiple clips on a timeline
May 28, 2008 02:25AM
Hi All,

Hoping you can help me out. Due to a slower older processor, i am trying to change and render speed effects for multiple clips at the same time so I can render overnight. For example, i have 50 clips that i want to speed up 400% and all the clips are on one timeline. If i select all of them, FCP does not let me modify the speed. I have to select each one individually, change the speed to 400%, do this for 50 clips, and then render them all. Is there a way to do this more efficiently?

Thanks for your tips!
Re: Changing speed for multiple clips on a timeline
May 28, 2008 08:09AM
Hi Mike

To do this you can use a nested sequence:

? Highlight all the clips you want to speed change (take care to select only the Video and/or Audio ones you want)

? Press Alt & C

? Name it "speed change" or something obvious - press ok

You should now have a nested sequence in your timeline called "speed change"

? click on the nest

? Press Command(apple key) & J

? Enter the speed change and press ok

Voilá

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 28, 2008 09:34AM
You can also apply the speed change first to one clip. Select that clip, press APPLE-C, then select all the rest and press OPTION-V (Paste Attributes), check "Speed". Ben's method is faster if you know you want a uniform speed and the edits are locked, but my method will give more flexibility if you want some of the clips, say, at 300 per cent later on down the road, or if you have Motion/filtering work that doesn't work with the nest.

www.derekmok.com
May 28, 2008 06:45PM
You could also stack these 50 clips in 50 tracks (!) and apply the same Speed to all at once. I don;t say you*should*-- only that you can.

The reason you can't do it linearly is because you'll change the duration of your sequence. When I want to speed change one clip, I cut it form the sequence, leave a Marker, nav to the tail of the sequence, Paste the clip, make the speed change, cut the changed clip, back to Marker, and paste it in a clip overhead if it needs to be fitted to cover the void or overwrite into the void if it's big enough.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics