DVD to 1080p via MPEG Streamclip

Posted by harry323 
DVD to 1080p via MPEG Streamclip
May 01, 2008 05:49PM
I have an NTSC progressive 24p DVD which I need to uprez to 1080p and copy into a ProRes 422 HQ 1440x1080 24p 48k sequence.

I've imported the DVD into MPEG Streamclip.

Can anyone familiar with this kind of thing please advise me on the best settings to use for export?

Thanks a million.

Harry
Re: DVD to 1080p via MPEG Streamclip
May 01, 2008 06:01PM
Yuck....

THe best MPEG Streamclip can get you is a DV file. You then need to take that DV file and use Compressor to blow it up to 1080p...but eew. Why? Don't have access to the source? Why not?

I have footage...DV footage...of an archaeological dig...but on DVD. The scientist who shot it gave her tapes to the team leader for historical purposes...so all I have are the DVD copies. I used DVDxDV to extract a DV file from these (but you can choose uncompressed 8-bit if you wanted)...I then used Compressor to upconvert that to DVCPRO HD 720p 23.98. It didn't look good. But we needed to use it. So, what did I do? Added BAD TV to it...made it look WORSE. Now it looks even more like BAD homemade DV...and it works rather well...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 01, 2008 06:11PM
Shane,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I don't have access to the source. It's a long, boring and ugly story

So you reckon I should upconvert in Compressor rather than, say, having MPEG/S make a Quicktime file and then just drop that in my FCP ProRes sequence for FCP to convert, huh?

If that's so, thanks very much for your time and advice.

Harry
May 01, 2008 06:17PM
FCP upconvert is not good. Compressor is much better. But you have to set all the FRAME options to BEST. Otherwise you get ugly interlacing. Already the footage will look U-G-L-Y it ain't got no alibi!

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 01, 2008 06:21PM
i used shanes upres to HD via compressor workflow recently and it works quite well.
May 01, 2008 06:29PM
Which is here, BTW...

[pistolerapost2.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
May 01, 2008 06:29PM
Wayne and Shane,

Thank you both very much for your advice.

Your reward will be ... well ... sometime.

With thanks,

Harry.
June 05, 2008 08:24PM
On the same note...

I'm just beginning to cut a feature doc in DVCPro HD 720/24pN that's going to be very very stock footage heavy.

We're planning on ripping material from screener DVDs using MPEG Streamclip.

Should I bother to use Compressor to convert the DV files to match my sequence settings? Or just plan on rendering when we're using this footage in the timeline? I'm talking about a lot of footage.

Seems like an extra step to go through Compressor (and make space-consuming), but I'm wondering if I'm going to be banging my head on the wall in a month as I repeatedly wait for DV shots to render as I'm moving things around...

Anyone been through this on a feature project before?

Thanks,
Garret
June 05, 2008 08:45PM
I am cutting a show that is DVCPRO HD. We get stock footage screeners on VHS and DVD. VHS tapes we capture by routing a VCR thru my DSR-11 deck...we capture as DV. The DVDs we use DVDxDV pro and extract a DV file. THis is only temp so DV is fine.

When the masters arrive on BetaSP or Digibeta, I then upconvert via the Kona 3.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics