colour correcting problem....

Posted by FindonChrispy 
colour correcting problem....
June 05, 2008 06:23AM
Hi, am using fcp 5.1.4 and am editing a program thats been shot using 2 cameras. (Z1's)

One camera is darker than the other, but the one that is lighter is right by a huge window and the whites have been blown out slightly.

The other cam is facing the windows making the subjects rather backlit.

Using the 3 way corrector and magic bullet look suite i have been able to roughly match them and bring out the skin tones of the subjects by boosting the gamma levels and bringing down the whites..

Is there anything more i can do?

Any help greatly appreciated.....
Re: colour correcting problem....
June 05, 2008 07:04AM
You could try matching the hue on something in the room, or the skin tones of one actor. Here's a couple of tutes :

[www.kenstone.net]

June 05, 2008 08:22AM
Thanks jude, tried that and it turns out i wasn't far off from what that process produces, it seems to be a case of bad cam positions, one camera has the whites blasted right out and the other has the subjects in shadow from the light behind. The Black levels are very concentrated on this camera.

Luckily its only for the first 2-3 minutes so i'll try and work it in as a style!
June 05, 2008 08:50AM
For the overblown backlit shot, you might also want to matte out the subject if he's underexposed.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 05, 2008 10:06AM
Thanks strypes, just heading down that route now, just found a load of footage further down the line where the bright light from the windows is gone (ie: this part of the rushes shot later in the day), there a couple of key lights being used bu its a big room and the cameras are quite far from the subjects . But most of it looks underexposed and grainy..... joy!

Thanks again for the replies...
June 06, 2008 01:59AM
overexposure is really hard to deal with, as you know.

Lyric make a free "shadow highlight" filter that deals with shadows and highlights, believe it or not.
[www.lyric.com]
it's more successful at lifting shadows than reigning in the highlights, IMO,
but it's better than the 3-way CC.

if the shot is locked off, and you can matte in a better bg, that'll look a lot better.

nick
June 06, 2008 02:59AM
To the rescue again Nick! Much appreciated!

Am looking it up after i've made my first cup of tea for the day...!

Cheers!
June 06, 2008 04:47AM
Tally Ho!

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics