Workflow question

Posted by xavpil 
Workflow question
June 05, 2008 09:27PM
I need to export a sequence with TC Generator FX.
What I've been doing so far is:
1) Nest the sequence
2) Add the TC Generator
3) Full render
4) Export QT movie
5) Import file to Compressor

I've been dealing with crashing issues and the whole process is taking a long time.
After trashing preferences and trying to render small sections at a time, the crashing problem is still not solved.

1) Does my workflow make sense?
2) Is there a faster/safer way to create a QT with VTC?
3) What about first render the sequence, THEN nest it and add the TC and THEN render again?
Should?
Or: Render the sequence, export a QT, import it back and add the TC, render and export?
Re: Workflow question
June 05, 2008 09:38PM
First thing to check is that your Scratch Disk and system drive aren't filling up. If your system is healthy, it shouldn't have problems rendering a Timecode Generator filter. However, taking the nesting out of the equation can also help, because nesting is more taxing on RAM. Try the Nick Meyers Blank Text Object Method ?:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
June 05, 2008 10:01PM
I am trying Nick's method but the rendering time is the same as with a nested sequence.
May be it won't be as hard on the RAM and won't crash the computer.
BTW I had check the system and scratch disks and they were fine.

Thx. I'll keep you posted
June 05, 2008 10:14PM
> I am trying Nick's method but the rendering time is the same as with a nested sequence.

No, I didn't think it would be faster, either. It has one disadvantage, which is that when you turn the timecode back off, the render files for the original no-burn sequence are also replaced. The advantage is that you never have to do the Timecode Generator/Reader filtering step again.

At which step are the crashes occurring? Any consistency to their timing?

www.derekmok.com
June 05, 2008 10:36PM
the crashes are random... could be after 5 min, could be at the end...
I am getting on a time crunch here. Let me ask you if it'd be safe to export the sequence with the light green rendering bar? Actually i still have audio that needs rendering (red bar)... And I tried Render Selection Only for these 'red bar' section with no success....
I'm afraid I am going to have to try and render the whole thing....
June 05, 2008 11:07PM
> Let me ask you if it'd be safe to export the sequence with the light green rendering bar?

Yes, but I always render before the export. If you do that, then render files will stay put after the export, and also it's less taxing for the computer to do one task at a time.

At this point, I'd suggest that you first render the edited sequence, do an Audio Mixdown, then export to a full-quality, self-contained QuickTime movie. That should be a relatively fast, uncomplicated procedure. Now close your project file, open a new one with matching settings, import the movie file into it, then apply the Timecode Reader/Generator. That should improve performance considerably. And if it still doesn't work, at least you have the option of moving that movie file to another computer and trying it there.

www.derekmok.com
June 06, 2008 01:50AM
if your show has a lot of effects already,
and a lot of them are already rendered thanks to either auto-render, or just your workflow,
then a possible quicker solution is to the show first WITHOUT the TC filter.

render all, then export as a reference movie.

bring that back into FCP,
add the filter, and export again.
this can often be quicker.

other timesavers include NOT adding the TC filter in FCP.
if you are making a DVD, you can add a TC filter in compressor (it's a little clunkier than the FCP one)
or use the free app QTSync [www.qtsync.com] which can add a TC track to a QT file.

QTSync works by making a new movie with an embedded text track that carries the TC as an overlay.
the beauty is it's almost instantaneous if you make it a reference move,
the downside is you have to keep the original file, and the text track close to hand otherwise the reference move wont work anymore.
it;s a little overcomplicated if you are making a file to give to someone else, but great for your own use.

one more thing i'd add is that Andy Mees makes a true Timecode GENERATOR:
[web.mac.com]
that is, its a generator in FCP, which means it's an object (like text) you lay over your footage.
no need to add slug, or create a blank text object.
i haven't had a need to use it yet, so cant comment on how fast it renders, but it sure is a good idea.

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics