Red workflow

Posted by 14hdcp 
Red workflow
June 05, 2008 04:29PM
Hi,

I'm sure you're tired of this thread, but I'm stuck. I've been thrown a budget emergency to change a current HD budget to a budget using the RED camera. Like an idiot, I've pretty much been ignoring discussions about the camera and workflow and the one LAFCPUG meeting I missed was the one on this subject. I know Graeme is the guru for this, but I don't know him.

It's a low budget picture. I haven't read it yet. I just got the call last night. The old budget had a blanket post equipment price so I don't know what they originally planned.

The old budget has an item for 200 hours of HD transfer (now 2k i'm told) , so I'm guessing that's the print figure.

Are the demosaic, color grading, down-convert processes done in the same computer as the FCP system or must it be done at a facility? Is it fairly simple or a big deal?

What are the costs to look out for?

What are my new hardware requirements?

What is the latest workflow using FCP?

I know this is general stuff I should have been paying attention to, but you know us old guys.

Thanks,

Barrett Taylor
Re: Red workflow
June 05, 2008 05:21PM
Me thinks you should post over here:
[www.reduser.net]
June 05, 2008 05:21PM
Hi Barrett

I haven't tested RED workflow myself yet due to the lack of cameras in the UK but I have been keeping up with most of it over at Reduser there is a hell of a lot of info over there: [www.reduser.net]

The forum would also benefit your camera crew especially to familiarize themselves to the possible issues when using the RED in production.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 06, 2008 07:16AM
What they said, and try to get your hands on some test footage ( i.e. I got a small drivefull from a local camera rental house). You can then download Redcine (free) from their site and get started on how the basic process of importing digital negs, grading, and rendering works. The overall workflow is much more like film than video with numerous options, thus requiring a good bit of planning and testing.

Shooting RED is also not at all like video. In addition to a DP, you need a good focus puller because you'll be using 16mm or 35mm (for 2K or 4K) lenses. Instead of a Clapper/Loader (2nd AC), you need a Utility, i.e. a crewperson that throws slates and instead of dealing with mags, offloads and backs up digital footage.

Current requirements I believe are FCP 6.0.2. on an Intel MacPro and running Leopard to be able to use the REDCODE workflow within FCP. You can find that info and the REDCODE QT component (free) over at the site.

Documentation is very sketchy, there isn't much available yet in the way of manuals. Definetly join the Reduser Forum and starting posting away. The community there is quite responsive.

hth,
Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics