Recreating thumbnails

Posted by Outdated Mac user 
Recreating thumbnails
June 10, 2008 11:57PM
I tossed out files in the thumbnails folder, now I want to recreate the original thumbnail, because what I have now on my timeline is a thumbnail with the message MEDIA OFFLINE. How do I do this?
Re: Recreating thumbnails
June 11, 2008 12:17AM
I assume the clip isn't actually offline? Try going into Sequence Settings - Timeline Options and unchecking Thumbnails. Now go in and turn the option back on.

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2008 12:14PM
Here's a link to a short article I wrote at Moviola.com's Resource Center to deal with this specific problem, located in the Troubleshooting section: [edu.moviola.com]

Hope this helps.

Andrew Balis
Lead Instructor - Final Cut Pro
moviola.com
June 11, 2008 12:46PM
And if all THAT doesn't help, you can always go through each and every clip with the Hand Scrub tool to bring it back alive. God help you.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 11, 2008 04:44PM
Here's yet another option: Take all media offline using SHIFT-D (Leave Files on Disk), then use Media Reconnect.

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2008 05:14PM
Loren and Derek, with all due respect (as I admire and respect the posts I read from you), your solutions do not quite do it in this case.

Reconnecting media is a headache in the making- time consuming, always the possibility that everything won't reconnect, and will take more time than my simple suggestion which has worked for me since FCP 1.

And scrubbing the thumbnail in the timeline is a great suggestion, but it will pop right back to the bad media offline image (unless you make a trim). And even if it did work, it would be extremely time consuming. Again, the technique I offered is simple, quick and always works.

Andrew
June 11, 2008 06:04PM
> Reconnecting media is a headache in the making- time consuming, always the possibility that
> everything won't reconnect, and will take more time than my simple suggestion which has
> worked for me since FCP 1.

And with all due respect here, Andrew, I didn't say my method was better than yours. It's just another possible alternative which has proven to work sometimes when the simpler ones didn't. Reconnect Media can be a headache in some occasions, not necessarily so. Also, Media Reconnect can be undone by simply hitting Undo, or by simply not saving the project file in question, if the media file isn't deleted. Not a cause for alarm.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics