HD timeline, render render render...

Posted by michelleVS 
HD timeline, render render render...
June 16, 2008 03:03PM
Hi. I'm working in FCP 6, HD timeline 23.98, compressor setting DVCPRO HD 720p60. I've got all sorts of DVCPRO HD footage in different frame sizes and frame rates, and I've got animation graphic backgrounds & transitions and jpeg screen grabs...

V1 is a DVCPRO 29.97 background plate. V2 - V8 has all that mixed footage with text and transition graphics, etc. It's a visually busy piece with stuff flying all over the place.

My question is, every time I go in to tweak something (which is a lot) the clip needs to be rendered again (orange render bar). And if it involves the background plate which runs for 30 seconds, then that whole 30 second section needs to be rendered. I need to render to see if the cut or effect flows but it slows me down so much.

Any suggestions as to how to not have to render with every tweak? Is there a better timeline setting or render setting to have?

thanks, Michelle
Re: HD timeline, render render render...
June 16, 2008 03:20PM
If you have mixed frame rates, I don't think you'll be able to get around having to render with every tweak. However, you could consider razorblading the long background plate into smaller chunks. That way you won't have to re-render the whole piece if you only changed two seconds. Another method is to render and export sections that are locked, no more changes, into their own self-contained movie files with matching settings to the timeline. Cut that movie file into the edit. Then you never have to render that particular effect again. Just make sure that the assembly (ie. individual clips with effects) is still available in a timeline in case you do need to redo or change anything.

www.derekmok.com
June 16, 2008 08:34PM
I would do as Derek suggests and blade the background. This does increase your project size slightly, but it's a lot less hassle.

Another thing you could do is use the 'preview' mode to watch the effects without rendering. Just hit option p. This mostly won't be in realtime, but saves a lot of render files.

June 16, 2008 08:41PM
Oh - also - you could use the little-known 'Quickview' window. Check it out in your FCP Manual. It's under Tools > Quickview

June 17, 2008 11:44AM
Another tip, to speed up rendering time if you're not yet on finishing, is to change the render setting to 8 bit. Open sequence settings (apple 0) go to the render tab and select render to 8 bit. Change it back to high precision YUV rendering when you're at the finishing stage.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics