Help with special camera need - endoscope????

Posted by BlueCap 
Help with special camera need - endoscope????
June 16, 2008 08:16PM
I have an upcoming project that requires a special kind of camera and I wanted to see if anyone here had any kind of experience with this type of equipment.

Basically I will be traveling to a mine in the jungles of South America where they are currently digging for crystals. These crystals form in a pocket within the rock walls. They have found a pocket and want to take a look inside of it to determine how large it is and how to best open this pocket with minimal damage.

This company has asked me to come down and film the entire process. The budget will expand to include the purchase of a camera that can be inserted into a drill hole (about 2" diameter) to film the inside of the pocket. The camera head needs to be inserted about 5 feet into the drill hole and must have the ability to rotate around in the cavity AND illuminate everything within. The interior of the pocket may be very damp as well so being water resistant is a must.

I'm looking in the direction of endoscopes but I don't know if that's quite right as endoscopes tend to be more medical therefore smaller for use within a body. I know there is gear out there (like the cameras used when Egyptian tombs have been discovered) but I'm not sure what's available and/or what's best.

If anyone has experience, I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!!

-Bryan
Re: Help with special camera need - endoscope????
June 16, 2008 09:16PM
There a large body of video equipment that is used for sewer inspection, and may be just what you need. The camera/cable/monitor setups come in a variety of sizes, from quite large to quite small. Needless to say, they are made to work in harsh, wet environments, and they have built in lighting. I don't know how much remote control you can have to point it where you want it once you're inside. Many of this type of camera are made for search & rescue work, so they can be quite maneuverable.

I am in the locating business, and we make transmitter units for such cameras so they can be located in pipes. I don't know so much about the cameras themselves, but I'll give you a few companies we deal with to get you started.
Cues Cameras
Image Inspection
Scooter Video
Inuktun Services

Let me know if you need more, but I think you'll find a lot here and with associated links and searches.

Scott
June 17, 2008 04:57PM
Thanks for the links Scott. That opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Maybe when I'm done with the film I will do a presentation of the trailer at a LAFCPUG mtg.

All the best!!

-Bryan
June 17, 2008 07:08PM
Everytime I hear the word endoscope only one phrase comes to mind (sorry about this)...

"you using the whole FIST doc?"

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 18, 2008 03:50PM
LOL!! If I showed that footage at the meeting we'd have everyone running for the door.....leaving me the only person for the auction...hmmmmmmmm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics