Dark Spot on MBP monitor?

Posted by Dan Brockett 
Dark Spot on MBP monitor?
June 28, 2008 06:38PM
Hi all:

I was in NY this week, shooting a ton of footage for a bunch of projects I am working on. I use P2 Log Pro to view my HVX-200 footage when dumping it to drives. In full screen mode, I kept seeing what looked like a piece of dirt or lint on the lens in the lower right. I checked the camera's lens, cleaned it and the dark spot was still showing up.

After I closed P2 Log Pro, I still noticed the spot in the lower right hand side of the 15" MBP's monitor. It's about the size of a pea, very soft-edged and really only noticeable on light colored BGs. So the dark spot wasn't in the footage, it is in the monitor of the MBP. On a whim, I tried re-booting and with a soft cloth, tried gently rubbing the spot to see if it would fade or was something on the surface of the screen. It's most definitely not, there is a distinctive dark spot there.

I have Apple Care for this laptop, I guess I should send it in? I have had it less than a year. I have babied this computer, I have the hardshell crystal body armor for it and it travels inside a neoprene bag inside another computer case. My last G4 PB fell off of my equipment cart at La Guardia and even though it was in one of those Neoprene cases that Apple sells, it sustained dents and scratches so I went overboard with protection for this newer MBP. So I don't think it's anything that I have done to it. It's just dark enough to be obnoxious and noticeable, if it were a lighter shade, I would probably just live with it. But since I use this MBP for editing and Photoshop, having this here is really distracting.

Has anyone heard of this? Is it a known issue with MBPs? Should I just take it to the Apple Store and see what they say?

Anyone have any advice to formulate my plan of action?

Thanks,

Dan

15" MBP
2.2 Dual Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
Re: Dark Spot on MBP monitor?
June 28, 2008 08:06PM
Hey Dan,

Have you tried to change the resolution on the monitor to see if it shows up on different setups? If it's a monitor glitch, it will be in the same spot no matter what resoluion you go to. This is obviously something you shouldn't try to fix yourself. I would take it in and utilize Applecare. You may get a brand new monitor out of it grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 28, 2008 09:09PM
used to be the monitor was linked very tightly with the logic board.

so you could get a brand new laptop!
June 28, 2008 11:02PM
Hi Joe:

Just tried changing the resolution, the spot stays in the same place so I guess it really is the monitor.

Will have to take it in to Apple and lose it for a week or two. Sigh. Glad I kept my old PB G4, at least I will have something to work on while it is away.

Thanks guys,

Dan
June 29, 2008 09:30AM
Yes, it's the monitor. It's happened to my MBP twice and got the screen replaced twice with AppleCare. It was quite shocking to see how good AppleCare was. First time, I mailed it to AppleCare in TX. They sent me a box overnight. I mailed it back prepaid overnight. They got it, replaced the screen, and sent it back out overnight all in the same day. Whole process took 3 days. Second time, I took it to a local authorized repair shop. They ordered the screen. Once it came in, I took my MBP in and got it back about 2 hrs later!

I've read online that the dark spot may be due to mold behind the screen. Don't know if it's true though? You should be good to go on the replacement.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
June 29, 2008 10:57AM
Thanks for the info Ch-Ho. As soon as I stop traveling, in to Apple it will go.

Best,

Dan
June 29, 2008 03:12PM
AppleCare has always rocked for me. Whole components replaced (like a DVD drive) without issue- back when they were expensive.

Still the smartest investment.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 29, 2008 06:37PM
Yep...it costs a few bucks upfront, but it's money in the bank if there's a problem and there's no arguement if something needs to get fixed, I will tell you that. Applecare is on point thumbs down

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 30, 2008 03:40PM
Is this one of the new machines with LED backlight instead of the usual serpentine fluorescent tube? Does it change with screen brightness setting?

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics