External Monitor Freezes

Posted by J.Corbett 
External Monitor Freezes
July 07, 2008 12:34AM
since fcp 4.5 I have experienced freezes in monitoring. either the canvas or the monitor itself (FW).

I just started a project today and drop a motion template in and the freeze began.
Regular clips in the TL may or may not play in both the monitor and the canvas. Its sporadic.

Any idea of how this happens?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: External Monitor Freezes
July 07, 2008 09:40AM
what you do mean by freezes? computer freezes? FCP? or the image won't update in the canvas and/or external monitor? - does this happen with a regular clip captured in this project?
here are some solutions. I am not sure if this would work since I am not too clear on what exactly you mean by freez.

select your canvas and hit Shift+Z - this will "fit to window" sometimes if you're zoom in it will not play as well

also, render your timeline. If you are playing the timeline in "Unlimited RT" and it needs a render, the monitor or canvas might not update and your timeline will freez.
July 07, 2008 11:22AM
Freeze frame

clip is on the TL , then i hit space bar to play the canvas plays just fine but the external holds a freeze frame. If the external monitor plays then the canvas freezes.

I am getting more freezes in the external monitor than the canvas.

FCP continues to operate just fine minus the freezes. The Computer is operating fine also. I have done the apple Z still no hope.

I can finish the project but it is really nerve wrecking.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
July 07, 2008 02:21PM
Check your system drive space. Is the internal hard disk overloaded?

How many FW drives do you have connected to the bus, if you're using a FW output?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 07, 2008 03:11PM
I alway have at least 25% free on every drive. On this particular one the main drive is 125g free and the media drive is 450g free.

i have two on a daisy and 4 on esata.

""""
July 07, 2008 04:04PM
Hmm... Usually I'm connected to a RAID, sometimes a FW drive or two, rarely daisy chained... Last time I encountered weird display issues like that was when i was working off a petite internal HD (80 gigs) and someone had "accidentally" tagged the render drive to the internal HD.

Basically, 1, you're connected to too many hard drives so that is affecting real time playback and display (though dropped frames may also occur), 2, mirror on desktop is off.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 07, 2008 05:25PM
my footage is 3/2 squeeze when i switch the TL to 4/3 anamorphic.......... BAM............ Monitor freeze.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics