how do I ripple edit with multi-layered sequences

Posted by Patty Wack 
how do I ripple edit with multi-layered sequences
July 08, 2008 07:58PM
I have a sequence with 6 layers of video and connected audio. How can I edit out a section in the timeline and then move all those layers of video and audio to the right of that edit together, without zooming out, selecting all of the video and audio layers, zooming back in and then bring my edit points together? I'd like to just grab my video layer to the right of the edit I just did, and move everything together and complete the edit. Is that possible?

Sorry if that's a lame question, but I can't find anything about sliding multiple layers together after doing an edit.

thanks so much in advance!

Patrick :-)confused smiley
Re: how do I ripple edit with multi-layered sequences
July 08, 2008 08:54PM
If there aren't any sync relationships to destroy, then the Single Track Forward tool (T, or right arrow pointing right) is probably the way to go. But when layers overlap, you pretty much have to do it by hand. Or lock the tracks if you can.

www.derekmok.com
Re: how do I ripple edit with multi-layered sequences
July 08, 2008 09:29PM
sounds like a simple ripple edit?

mark the area you want to extract/ delete with in/outs points, then Shift + Delete (Or forward delete)

you could cause some unwanted edits in some layers this way, which you can then tidy up with the roll tool (hit r to summon)

the alternative is to mark the area with in/outs,
then summon up the RIPPLE tool (rr) and select the various edit points across the 6 tracks,
then enter a number on the number pad for how much you want to ripple by (the duration of the in/outs.

if you haven't used the ripple tool this could take a little getting used to, as you need to select the edit on the side you want to trim.
hold apple while you select other edit points on other tracks.
you can even do what they call Asymmetrical trimming, which is where different tracks extend/contract in different directions, depending on the side of the edit you select with the ripple tool.

powerful stuff!

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics