LaCie disks and sleep mode?

Posted by tduncan 
LaCie disks and sleep mode?
May 16, 2006 09:49AM
I have a macBook 15" with FCP 5.1 and a couple 1Tb Lacie extremes. Why do the disks keep spinning down after a few minutes of no activity? Can I turn this off? My searches have been to no avail and the powersave features are turned off already.

thanks,
td
Re: LaCie disks and sleep mode?
May 16, 2006 10:25AM
LaCies have one eventual sleep mode = "Sleep With The Fishes" mode.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 16, 2006 11:00AM
Do the 1TB's have a rocker switch on the back? You need to set the switch to the middle position if I remember correctly. Also, turn on power to the drives first before turning on the computer. Only turn power off to the drives after you shut down. Check your OS system preferences > energy saver and uncheck the put drives to sleep whenever possible option.

That do it?

Clay
May 16, 2006 11:07AM
> LaCies have one eventual sleep mode = "Sleep With The Fishes" mode.

That's what I think as well. Working with Lacies, you really have to assume that they're going to die, every single day. And that's a hell of a bad mentality to have to harbour.
May 16, 2006 12:01PM
Here we go again. I do love a good LaCie fight. So I'll start by going on record again saying I really like their gear, own a 2TB, 2 1TB's, 2 500GB's and 2 of their CRT monitors. It all works great. The only tiime I ever lost a drive was an internal one. The one with the Apple emblem on it (they checked it and then replaced it).

A few recent facts:

Amongst other recognition, the company was awarded a product innvoation and design prize at NAB 2006 as per a vote by NAB attendees.

The company had a 37% sales increase quarter on quarter 2005 to 2006.

So far this year they've shipped and sold over 750.000 units.

Go over to LaCie.com and check out their stats and financials and all the awards they've won from the industry. The company rocks, and you don't achieve that kind of perfomance by selling a substandard product. Wish I owned some shares.

Imho, (putting on the flak jacket, heading for the bunker) it's tiime for a reality check as far as this particular manufacturer is concerned.

Clay
May 16, 2006 12:05PM
ya I am with Clay on Lacie

14 drives and they are rock solid

the only drive I have ever had any problems with was using a Promax case(there was a bad chip or something, had to get the case replaced)

lacies are THE BEST

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
May 16, 2006 01:14PM
Dem's some nice facts & figures ya got there.

"...The only tiime I ever lost a drive was an internal one. The one with the Apple emblem on it (they checked it and then replaced it)."

The "Apple emblem" drives are Maxtor drives - which are $hit and, oh by the way, LaCie uses Maxtor drives.

I'm sorry, I thought I heard someone say "LaCie's are THE BEST"?! OK...not getting into another "LaCie sucks" thread so I will be bowing out now.

Good luck Clay & Dave (lol).

IIIIIIIINNNNCOMIIIIIIIIING!!!!

May 16, 2006 04:14PM
> 14 drives and they are rock solid

Lacies? Jello-solid is more like it...

I got three of these for the past three weeks, organizing footage for another editor, and within a week of active duty both 500GB Lacies started misbehaving, beachballing...
May 16, 2006 07:18PM
> Imho, (putting on the flak jacket, heading for the bunker) it's tiime
> for a reality check as far as this particular manufacturer is concerned.

Reality check?

About 23 external FireWire drives in active service for four months of a reality show:

12 Red Orb 120GBs
6 Lacie 250GBs
4 Maxtor 250GBs
1 EZQuest

Two drives died in three months. What brand were they?

Lacie.

In my own arsenal:

1 42GB Promax
1 180GB Promax
1 250GB Promax
2 250GB Promaxes belonging to two different production entities
1 180GB and 1 250GB Promax belonging to my director friend/flatmate

How many drive deaths in the last six years of owning them?

None. Even the 42GB drive from 2000, costing me $800 back then, mounts instantaneously every time I want, and has never caused a crash, freeze, or lost data. Show me a Lacie that's lasted that long.
May 16, 2006 08:28PM
getting back to the question (please!)

in the Energy Saver panel,
did you remember to un-tick the "put hard drives to sleep when possible" box?

nick

May 17, 2006 09:58AM
We did answer the question, it's up top of the thread. Then the lunatic fringe kicked in....

This means war Joe,

RATATATTTAAATTTAAAT KRAAAKOOOOOOOM

Is that a white flag you're waving?

Clay
May 17, 2006 10:13AM
Clay,

No white flag...this is just a dead end topic.

OOPS...don't look now, your D2 is making chimpanzee noises. Won't be long now...promise winking smiley

- Joey

July 16, 2006 07:26PM
hey tduncan, I'm in a similar situation. I'm using a 17" MCP with FCP 5.1. I have 6 Lacie 500GB drives daisy chained together via firewire 800. I'm cutting HD footage captured with the P2 card, which I realize is a lot of heavy lifting. Besides the checkbox in the energy saver pref, did you get any other info about this issue?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics