HDV 1080 60i to 4:3 DVD Workflow

Posted by OTVP 
HDV 1080 60i to 4:3 DVD Workflow
July 16, 2008 02:50PM
Hey guys!

Okay here is the issue, I have shot a couple of projects in HDV 1080 60i on a Canon XH-A1 camera. I shot the footage in HDV so that later I could use it for some HD samples for prospective clients, and the clients I shot it for are looking for SD 4:3 on a DVD. Here is the workflow I've used, and I am getting some stuttering issues on the final product when I view the final DVD.

Workflow I'm using:

I dropped the HDV footage straight into a ProRes 422 Upper Fields first timeline and then exported directly from the timeline and then to Compressor. The stuttering is occurring on the timeline rather than export because the DVD ends up looking the same as the timeline. I had also experimented with using an HDV timeline and then exporting using ProRes 422 but the render takes a very long time.

So if anyone can give me a better workflow or a correct workflow for taking 1080 60i HDV footage and downconverting it to a SD 4:3 DVD either in full screen or widescreen format, I'd appreciate your help!!! I have anxious clients waiting!

Mac G5
FCP Studio2
Re: HDV 1080 60i to 4:3 DVD Workflow
July 16, 2008 07:57PM
[I had also experimented with using an HDV timeline and then exporting using ProRes 422 but the render takes a very long time. ]

Aha! That's probably the one that will work!

Seriously, have you exported a small test? Other than stuttering, i like everything about the workflow you describe.

Can you describe what you mean by stuttering? Can you step through and see fields on an NTSC monitor? If you can, and see the image phases stepping backward then jumping forward to the next frame-- that is probably a field order issue. Have you changed the sequence settings field order?

But the camera is another issue-- I'm uncertain of your shooting settings, frame format, other variables. Nice camera, too!

I've had good luck downconverting HDV right to letterbox DV using my Sony A1U in deck mode. I won't bother editing *any* HDV in a timeline, I'll transcode it or downconvert it into a real editing format first. (I'd rather dedicate the CPU's to more important stuff than reconstituting compressed image on the fly.) I've not used ProRes422 yet but I hear it's impressive.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle bin views with Shift - H !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics