ProResHQ performance -- is this normal?

Posted by John K 
ProResHQ performance -- is this normal?
July 18, 2008 01:36PM
Hey guys,

What kind of RT performance can I expect on a ProRes HQ timeline with 1080i ProRes HQ material? I know that's based on a lot of factors (CPU, drive speed, RAM) but let's say with a quad Mac Pro and a SATA RAID and 4GB of memory, should I be able to view things like text generators or basic changes to a clip (like scaling) without dropping frames? Because right now I'm getting green render bars above items like this but I cannot play back without rendering them (even with Safe RT set to Dynamic). Is this expected behavior when editing ProRes HQ material? I'd just like to know because I'm working through some issues with my machine and need to find out if this is related or not.

Thanks,
JK

MacPro 2.66, 4GB, 3TB SATA RAID, IoHD

July 18, 2008 04:53PM
John,

You have an IO/HD...that means you have a free ticket to the best Tech Support in the business. Call Aja Tech Support and express your concerns. They will be more than happy to help you out - probably walk you through your settings. Rudy is my favorite - he totally rocks.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: ProResHQ performance -- is this normal?
July 18, 2008 08:41PM
Hi Joe,

Believe it or not, I'm already talking to Rudy! And yes, he's great and AJA is great and we're working through this.

Here's the thing: this is my first time working with ProResHQ material, and so I have nothing to compare my results to. If this was another format I had worked with previously I would know what to expect and could tell if there was suddenly a problem with this new device or my system. I honestly don't know when I add filters or change Motion tab settings if I should be able to see anything without rendering or dropping frames. It would really help my sanity right now if someone who's been working with ProResHQ (and an external card or monitoring device) could say "Yes, you should be able to view that" or "Are you nuts? There's no way to look at that in ProRes without rendering"

JK

July 21, 2008 08:39PM
Rudy should be able to tell you that stuff. They are well-educated in FCP in relation to their hardware - especially the IO/HD because ProRes is the codec for that unit.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics