Can you capture from Sony HDR-SR10 with FCP?

Posted by aquaimage 
Can you capture from Sony HDR-SR10 with FCP?
July 26, 2008 12:06PM
Has anyone attempted to capture video from this camera? Apple does not include this in their hardware list. Sony only lists it compatible with Windows but the supported formats are MPEG4 AVC/H.264 SD MPEG2?
Re: Can you capture from Sony HDR-SR10 with FCP?
July 26, 2008 02:31PM
None of those compressed codecs are supported in FCP. Try using iMovie as there are more consumerish codecs supported.
July 26, 2008 03:08PM
Thanks!
July 26, 2008 04:56PM
Or just convert the files first. You'd have to kill me first to force me to use iMovie to edit a project just because the original media format is consumer-oriented. To me that's like never getting up from your chair just because your clothes are too small and you can't move around in them. Cut the clothes up so you can do your job, rather than rearrange your life around them.

www.derekmok.com
July 26, 2008 10:55PM
That was a pretty revealing analogy there, Derek. I think you might have given away a little bit more of your personal life than you meant to.

MPEG Streamclip is a great tool for turning MPEG-2 and similar non-editable formats into something you can cut. Fast, easy to use and very dependable. It's free, too, astonishingly.
July 26, 2008 11:17PM
Merci to all!
July 27, 2008 06:52AM
Haha! Nice analogy! Nah, I won't touch iMovie for editing either. Mpeg Streamclip or Compressor to convert, which ever rocks.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 27, 2008 08:43AM
if its anything like the SR8 (and I'm guessing it is):

the HD clips (AVCHD) should work just fine... the transcode to ProRes or AIC through FCP's Log and Transfer
the SD clips (MPEG) you can transcode via MPEG Streamclip as noted... convert them to DV or DV50 and you'll be dandy
July 28, 2008 10:43AM
It's really great to be able to get the help people give in this forum! LAFCPUG is a wonderful organization. Many thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics