Print to video vs edit to tape - which to use?

Posted by cdenes 
Print to video vs edit to tape - which to use?
August 14, 2008 09:43AM
I want to record to a new tape that has not been blacked or timecode striped. Do I need to use the Edit to Tape assemble edit option like Avid? Or does Print to Video automatically stripe timecode? Which would be better? I'm new to FCP.

thanks!

christy
Re: Print to video vs edit to tape - which to use?
August 14, 2008 10:00AM
In my view, Edit to Tape is stabler and more reliable. And you don't need to black the whole tape -- just 10 to 20 seconds in the beginning and set your Edit to Tape's In point within that section.

www.derekmok.com
August 14, 2008 10:11AM
thank you!
August 14, 2008 10:51AM
Ahem! What is an edit to tape got to do with a person who owns a stable?

Horses of Courses!
August 14, 2008 11:35AM
Follow Derek's post and don't forget to use Assemble mode for the lay off.

BTW, timecode is not "striped" by the NLE, be it Avid or FCP. It comes from the tape deck.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 14, 2008 01:19PM
Aside from definitely just feeling more solid, Edit To Tape is also the way to go when you are trying to lay to a specific start time, such as lining up bars/tones/slate, and first frame of picture to exact time code numbers to meet specs or accepted industry practices. Print to Video about the same as winging it into a tape manually without that precise control.

Print To Tape however, is sometimes the only way to do it depending on the tape format or sequence type. For example HDV sequences and HDV machines we've worked with do not support Edit To Tape and must be done with Print To Video.

Mike Klinger
Tree Falls Post/Clonetown
Los Angeles
August 14, 2008 01:21PM
Thanks everybody. So Print to Video is kind of like a manual hard record plus countdown etc.

I think Edit to Tape is the way I want to go unless my machine doesn't allow it.

christy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics