Nested Sequence Update

Posted by hanguolaohu 
Nested Sequence Update
August 12, 2008 03:01PM
I have nested my sequence but wanted to add a Timecode Reader to the nest. I created a duplicate of the nest, renamed it, and added Timecode Reader. Problem is, updates made in the original sequence are not reflected in this new duplicate nest. Any recommendations to make the same nest with Timecode Reader as a separate sequence? Nesting is bug prone!

Thanks,
Alexander
Re: Nested Sequence Update
August 12, 2008 03:38PM
Do this instead:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
August 12, 2008 04:18PM
Why would the duplicate update? It's a copy not the same sequence.
August 12, 2008 09:42PM
yeah, just add the TC reader to the original nest.
how come you didn't want to do this?

nick
August 13, 2008 05:48PM
As Tom said: "It's a copy"
My question: "What TC do you want to see (to update)?"

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
August 15, 2008 09:15PM
Sorry I forgot to place a check for e-mail notification:

Derek, thanks, I always forget to check the FAQ. Probably cause when I encounter a post problem I panic.

Tom, I assumed that a "duplicate" would act like duplicates should, meaning changing the original sequence would affect all nested sequences, but maybe in the FCP world it just doesn't work that way.

Nick, I like to have different sequences for different outputs but yes, I have ended up doing that because these nests are confusing for an FCP newbie such as myself.

Andreas, I just wanted to see the timecode from my original sequence.

Thanks for the help guys!
Alex
August 15, 2008 10:00PM
>>Tom, I assumed that a "duplicate" would act like duplicates should, meaning changing the original sequence would affect all nested sequences, but maybe in the FCP world it just doesn't work that way. <<

I can't think of a place where that would happen. If you had a photoshop file and you duplicated it, then changed the original, this would not affect the duplicate. It's essentially the same thing and a lot more useful because it means you can do versioning using a single timeline as a base. So, you make a 30 second spot, duplicate it five times, then add or remove whatever you need from the duplicates to make the five different versions for the different markets.

When you say you want to see the timecode from your original do you mean you've started it at 0.00 and it's, say, 4 minutes long, then you've dropped that entire sequence into another sequence, and now you need to reference the timecode a shot occurs at in the original sequence, or that you want to know the original tape TC?

August 15, 2008 10:35PM
> If you had a photoshop file and you duplicated it, then changed the original, this would not affect
> the duplicate.

I'm pretty sure it works like this:

If the duplication was done in the Browser, then both copies would be master clips, whether you use Duplicate (OPTION-D) or Copy/Paste. They would behave independently.

If you make the copy in a timeline with Copy/Paste, then the copies are affiliates and whatever you do to one will be applied to the other.

If you drag one nest into a timeline twice, all three copies are affiliated and changing one will also change the other two, including the master clip in the Browser.

www.derekmok.com
August 16, 2008 03:40AM
Hi Derek,
In FCE 4 I tried the copy/paste of a nested sequence in the TL, but I had a different result: the new copy of the nested sequence is "disconnected" (*) from the source copy whether this is in the browser or already nested in another sequence in the timeline. By "disconnected" I mean that a change of contents in the new copy is not applied to the source sequence.

I found this quite annoying when I copy (or drag) a nested sequence from the timeline into the browser. Then I'd expect the new sequence in the browser to remain "connected" to the source sequence nested in the timeline, as it remains "connected" the other way around (when I drag from the browser to the TL), but it is not.

A side effect is that, if I 1) drag (nest) a sequence into another, 2) delete the original nested sequence from the browser, and 3) drag back the nested sequence from the TL to the browser, then the browser displays the nesting and the nested sequence as if nothing happened, but the 2 sequences are no longer "connected"...

I couldn't try it on FCP yet, but I assume FCP very likely behaves the same.
Have you ever found this behaviour yourself ?

Thanks Piero

(*) I use "disconnected" because IMO the master-affiliate relationship between clips is a slightly different issue: in clips media is always shared (in the source media file) and master-affiliate clips share some other properties, like the clip name, etc.; in sequences media may change, and only "connected" sequences share the modified media. I'd like your opinion also on this...
August 16, 2008 09:14AM
Piero, I haven't gotten the behaviour you're talking about -- in fact, my headache tends to be the opposite. In my case, I rarely need multiple Photoshop files to be affiliated, I usually need them to behave as Independent clips, so the automatic affiliate behaviour is annoying for me. I also almost never use nests; if I had an effect that required multiple generations of processing, I'd put the edited effect in its own timeline and export that timeline as a dated movie file, then re-import.

As for dragging from the timeline to the Browser, I think it's down to the point I made above -- you're creating a nest in the Browser, so it'll be a new master clip.

I think after all these years, Photoshop-file behaviour in FCP can still be improved. For example, I still get instances where I highlight copies of clips and choose Modify - Make Independent, but they still remain affiliated. Inconsistency is the devil.

Let's see if we'll hear from others who may have observed the issue you're describing.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics