after effectS?

Posted by chaar 
after effectS?
May 18, 2006 11:56PM
Hey guys. Is after effects adobe 7.0 a worthy investment to go alone with FCP?
Re: after effectS?
May 19, 2006 12:01AM
as ive said many times in the past. i could live without FCP but i WOULD DIE without after effects.

YES, buy it NOW!
May 19, 2006 12:16AM
"Hey guys. Is after effects adobe 7.0 a worthy investment to go alone with FCP?"

Get FCS first and them see if you need AE.

- Justin Barham -
May 19, 2006 12:29AM
After Effects is so deep...that I've had it for years and I'm still learning amazing tricks in it. Example....it was a long time before I understood it's 3D Camera (would have been sooner had I read the manual)

You know those HBO promos with Movie Titles flying at you in 3D Space....endlessly...well you can do that in After Effects fairly simply. Many of the still picture moves are far smoother and cleaner in After Effects than in Final Cut Pro....It's a wonderful addition to your edit arsenal.....along with Motion...and ProAnimator...and a number of great compositing programs. Learn them all....Andy
May 19, 2006 12:45AM
Either that or learn Motion.

But AE does so much more. I couldn't work without AE.
May 19, 2006 02:15AM
ok, yes it worth it, but hope you don't have a fancy intel mac, cause adobe isnt' planning to release universal "updates" till 07, apple kinda screwed it's affilites hen they just "announced" their intel deal and just a few weeks later came out with computers, which was just a few weeks prior ae 7's launch.

but as said above, i heart a.e. im debating my focus in my film school because of a.e.

it's like heroin, except no needles, and the life lessons you learn won't leave you in rehab, well atleast from my experience

Amateur Teacher
May 19, 2006 03:47AM
thanks again guys.

Yeah coz im feeling Motion is gettin kinda.. LIMITED in what i wanna do. thanks for the input. AE sounds like an industrial MUST have huh.
May 19, 2006 05:56AM
It doesn't have to be After EFFECTS. It does have to be a compositor vs an editor.

For instance- RED - which has the advantage of saving you import/export - you just work from the FCP timeline.

On the top end - Shake

There are many others. It's NOT silly to look at more then one. Each has strengths the others lack.

Ian
May 19, 2006 06:01AM
After Effects is used in all of the top UK post production fascilties. I'd go with it, it is brilliant .. the plug ins amazing....then perhaps have a look at Combustion.
May 19, 2006 08:18AM
I think it depends on yr background. If you're from an FX and graphics world, then AE7 makes good sense. I came from an Editing background where I only used AE occasionally. But the amazing thing for me was that I could so much of what I used to do in AE, right there in FCP!!! My AE is 'sitting on the shelf', I just don't need it that often. Obviously there are really cool 3D things you can create in AE7, that FCP can't do.. there's no contest there...
May 19, 2006 08:52AM
IMHO, Motion is just a plug-in for After Effects 7 Pro. I use Motion to render elements that I use in AE composites. Photoshop & After Effects is necessary for a complete FX kit. Here's something you can't do in Motion:

Transform this:

...into this:

[www.digidojo.net]

- Joey

PS...that's me in the black trousers smiling smiley

Post Edited (05-19-06 06:56)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 19, 2006 09:41AM
Looks like the link is broken Joey - unless an empty beige screen is the effect that you've intended.

-------------------------------------------
Mark Huelsbeck
University of Iowa
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
May 19, 2006 09:48AM
My falult - it doesn't open correctly for me in Safari but works fine if downloaded first. And it is a nice effect - plays very cleanly.

-------------------------------------------
Mark Huelsbeck
University of Iowa
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
May 19, 2006 10:01AM
i just got the beige box in firefox as well - wonder whats with that?
May 19, 2006 10:22AM
Uh...no, mark...a beige screen is NOT the effect I was going for tongue sticking out smiley

That is a Full Screen Sorenson movie...can't explain why it won't just PLAY. Click the URL & wait for it to download (it's only 1.8 MB) and click the URL again...it plays fine.

- Joey

May 19, 2006 01:33PM
Hey I like the way you all glide across the ground! (smoother than Michael Jackson)
May 22, 2006 01:12AM
"PS...that's me in the black trousers smiling smiley"

[www.mulletlovers.com]

"I think it depends on yr background. If you're from an FX and graphics world, then AE7 makes good sense. I came from an Editing background where I only used AE occasionally. But the amazing thing for me was that I could so much of what I used to do in AE, right there in FCP!!! My AE is 'sitting on the shelf', I just don't need it that often. Obviously there are really cool 3D things you can create in AE7, that FCP can't do.. there's no contest there..."

Hear hear. Although I actually envy those who really take to AE and the like. I certainly don't. I'm more into story and structure. But for those who do rock AE, and do it well, there's a world of jobs out there awaiting.

- Justin Barham -
May 22, 2006 01:37AM
the thing i love about AE is that the interface and basic workflow are so damned intuitive. i learned AE way, way back in the CoSA days when i got an early development copy - thus NO MANUAL. i just clicked and dragged and imported around until i figured out how it addressed things - which took all of about 30 minutes. then the rest was more or less just gravy... and there is SO MUCH GRAVY to it that 10 years later i still learn something new every now and then

in over 20 years of various computer/graphics software i have yet to come accross another application that was so incredibly well designed from a UI standpoint.

then of course now in version 7 they've decided to "fatten up" the interface so it no longer feels like a surgeons scalpel and more like a big fat crayon.

but its still my favorite app on the planet!
May 22, 2006 02:19AM
"in over 20 years of various computer/graphics software i have yet to come accross another application that was so incredibly well designed from a UI standpoint."

You're talking about After Effects here right?

- Justin Barham -
May 22, 2006 02:47AM
yes. why do you ask?
May 22, 2006 03:05AM
With all due respect, I don't think I've ever heard anyone hold AE up as model of UI design. I can't imagine any competent UI designers that would ever think to mention AE in a positive light.

Not to say that the program isn't amazing. But it's a prime example of an application that when launched, basically says to the user, "You want me to be useful huh? Well do ya? Well then RTFM punk!" But that's just me. I like things simple.

- Justin Barham -
May 22, 2006 12:00PM
like i said, for the first year+ that i used AE there was no manual...

i cant imagine any app being more simple... i always just thought things were very logical, there wasnt really a user interface for the most part. just a few windows whos function IMO were reasonably self evident. and icons were reasonably indicative of what they were used for.

until version 7 of course, where if you close a certain window, you shut the application down - THATS SUCH A WINDOWS THING TO DO!
May 22, 2006 02:17PM
JB,

Thanx for the mullet site...hey, it was the 80's, dude tongue sticking out smiley

Until recently with 6.5 & 7, IMHO, AE had the worst UI design of all products in it's class...period. Also early on, you couldn't even render a RAM prevew...you had to render a small version of the movie and open it in QT to preview it.

}:-(

May 22, 2006 07:51PM
don't worry, joey,
you're the suave-est looking dude there!

cheers,
nick
May 22, 2006 08:24PM
LOL...thanx Nick - cheers smiling smiley

I didn't look so suave in the next scene when makeup squirted fake blood all over my neck & my temporary Armani threads.

...good times smiling smiley

- Joey

May 23, 2006 02:24AM
"Thanx for the mullet site...hey, it was the 80's, dude tongue sticking out smiley"

Hehe just yank'n your chain. I've had some 80's haircuts myself.

- Justin Barham -
May 24, 2006 07:40AM
alrighty im gonna start savin up for after effects.
May 24, 2006 10:59AM
another cool thing about it is once you buy it - future ugrades are super cheap!
May 24, 2006 01:23PM
Really nice effect, Joe!! Looks like a fair amount of cloning. Reminds me of some of the effects in Stacy Peralta's RIDING GIANTS. Cool. I gotta try some of that.
May 24, 2006 06:04PM
ok, as some one who got into fcp like a year ago (and for that matter all digital edditng things) and taught myself it, and i fnd a.e. easier to pick up than fcp, but thats me, im still learning alot of fcp basic things that i kinda just jumped, but a.e kinda builds on o much i kinda figured those out quicker.

i lik a.es's ui, and i like teh new one alot, some people are like, god damn docking this and locked that, i find it much easier to keep track of everything, i can set up the docking in my way, 20 min of setting everyting up just right, and a simple saving of a set u, probably shaves of 20 min on eac large project i do. not to metnion, it was jus fun to see how i couldset up windows

Amateur Teacher
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics