weird cross-hatch when up-scaling DVCPRO50 in FCP 5.1.4

Posted by clay 
weird cross-hatch when up-scaling DVCPRO50 in FCP 5.1.4
August 22, 2008 11:49AM
I have a clip shot on our hvx-200 that i'm trying to keyframe to change from 100% or 110% scale over the course of about 4 seconds. The keyframing works, and the clip grows as I'd like, but I'm getting some weird artifacts as it scales (monitored on my external NTSC CRT Sony monitor).

It's kind of like crosshatching or even a piece of screen like you would find on a window. Not quite as noticeable as if there were some sort of screen in front of the lens, but it's very distracting, and it slowly changes at the same rate that the clip is scaling.

To try and track down the issue further, I re-scaled the clip to 110% (no keyframing involved, just a static 110%), rendered, and the "screen" is still there--it doesn't change, though. I even tried the same thing at 101%, rendered, and got the same result. At 100% and rendered, the clip looks just fine with no artifacts. EDIT: I just tried the same actions with several other clips. With a clip from the same shoot, I see the same artifacts. With a clip from a different shoot, I see no artifacts. So it might be some in-camera setting that is causing this, though I don't believe anything was changed in-between the two shoots.

I do this sort of thing all the time to mimic a slow in-camera zoom, but I've never come across a clip that's given me this much trouble. Any ideas of things I should try to get rid of this issue?

I'm on a mac pro running 10.5.4 and FCP 5.1.4/Quicktime 7.5.0 (861).
Re: weird cross-hatch when up-scaling DVCPRO50 in FCP 5.1.4
August 22, 2008 10:00PM
Hard to say without seeing the clip, but have you got a lot of high contrast thin lines in the picture? These are very difficult for video to handle moving across fields. Try adding a 'deflicker' filter. If it helps, you can stack several deflickers on the same clip. You must render at full res and view on an external boradcast monitor (or CRT TV) to see true results.

It could also bee that the picture is too bright or too saturated. Use the Range check > Luma and range check > Chroma warnings to see if your picture is out of legal.

Re: weird cross-hatch when up-scaling DVCPRO50 in FCP 5.1.4
August 24, 2008 08:29AM
it sounds like some kind of moire pattern kicking in,

one set of dots(pixels) interacting with another set of dots.
i'll bet there are some wizz-bang methenmatical & scientific theories that desrcibe this,
and what d'you know:
[en.wikipedia.org]é_pattern

if you slightly blurred the source image than the problem might go away
i have done thiis succesfully with STILL images.
and have definitely needed to do it on zoom-ins.

you can even key-frame the blur to coincide with the move to minimise it

although if you've never seen this kind of thing before, then that's a bit weird.
off-beat question:
do your clip settings and sequence settings match?

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics