adding an effect to all clips at once?

Posted by radam04 
adding an effect to all clips at once?
August 24, 2008 03:19PM
I shot my footage with a 35mm lens adapter on a DVX100, so the image is always flipped when I bring it into FCP. I've been rotating the clips individually 180 degrees, but I was wondering if there was a "Select All" function or something I could use to do it to every clip at once. Ok, thanks!
Re: adding an effect to all clips at once?
August 24, 2008 03:27PM
Copy the clip with the desired effect, then select the other clips and Paste Attributes (OPTION-V).

www.derekmok.com
August 24, 2008 03:33PM
Drop one effect on a clip and adjust to taste.

In the Filters tab, grab the filter name and drag it into the Project Window (saving the effect with set parameters).

Click & drag over all clips in the timeline.

Drag that effect icon from the project window to the selected clips in the timeline. Will apply to all selected clips at once.

Copy / Paste does not work for multiple clips, D.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 24, 2008 03:38PM
>Copy / Paste does not work for multiple clips, D.

Hmm... I thought it did- apple c on the clip, select clips, option v, check filters box...

But why even see it upside down in the viewer at all? Here's something you can try out:
[www.spherico.com]

Export the clips from the browser as an xml, and run it through Andreas' Rotate Clips, reimport back into FCP... Voila! Done!

www.strypesinpost.com
August 24, 2008 03:43PM

Hmm... I thought it did- apple c on the clip, select clips, option v, check filters box...

Nope. Doesn't do it here on 6.0.4. Paste is grayed out in the options when selecting multiple clips. Works fine on single clips...unless I am doing it incorrectly (which is a possibility).

At any rate...the way I outlined works.

August 24, 2008 03:51PM
It's option V, not apple v... I should have used it on the last station i was on, which was a 6.0.4. But you can't copy it from the filters tab in the browser, only works on a clip in the timeline that happens to already have the filter applied.

But yea, it works too, I use that too.

Also, you can apply it to a clip, open it up in the viewer, select the clips you want to apply the filter on, and in the 2nd tab in the viewer (is it called the "filters" tab?), drag it onto the clips you want to apply the filter on to.

Sure wish there was a way to reorganize or delete one particular filter from a timeline (eg. shift fields).

www.strypesinpost.com
August 24, 2008 04:08PM
> Drag that effect icon from the project window to the selected clips in the timeline. Will apply to
> all selected clips at once.
> Copy / Paste does not work for multiple clips, D.

You may be missing something here, Joe...it's not Paste. It's Paste Attributes. Copy/Paste of filters in the Viewer doesn't work on multiple clips. The methods work out to:

1. If you're in the Filters tab of the Viewer, first select the targeted clips in the timeline, then select all the filters in the Viewer and drag to the timeline group.

2. If you're on the Video tab of the Viewer, you can APPLE-C (Copy), select the target clips in the timeline, Paste Attributes (OPTION-V). You can also Copy one clip in the timeline, then Paste its Attributes to multiple clips.

3. You can also drag filters from the Filters tab of the Viewer into a bin in the Browser, then drag that bin onto multiple selected clips in the timeline.

www.derekmok.com
August 24, 2008 04:30PM
Ah...gotcha. That's the beauty of FCP...multiple ways to achieve the same result spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

August 24, 2008 05:31PM
You probably don't even need to do many effects in FCP. You've got prettier toys for effects!

www.derekmok.com
August 24, 2008 06:27PM
Well...when I have a quick turn around & I need to do something & lay it off quickly, occasionally I will do simple FX in the timeline. The day After Effects becomes realtime is the day you won't see me around here much anymore grinning smiley

August 24, 2008 09:28PM
>>Sure wish there was a way to reorganize or delete one particular filter from a timeline (eg. shift fields).<< BIG feature request. Pretty please.

August 25, 2008 01:27AM
> Sure wish there was a way to reorganize or delete one particular filter from a timeline (eg. shift > fields).<< BIG feature request. Pretty please.

Perhaps a "Subtract Attributes" function. Whatever filters a copied clip has, remove those from the clips selected.

www.derekmok.com
August 25, 2008 03:57AM
>>Sure wish there was a way to reorganize or delete one particular filter from a timeline (eg. shift fields).<< BIG feature request. Pretty please.

I did think it would be cool if you can assign the filters into different folders in the effects tab to organize them (eg CC filters, filters for specific effects). Then you can rearrage the order of the different group stacks, as well as delete certain filter folders from a timeline... Rather than have that lump of filters that we have right now, which gets fairly messy from time to time- eg. 1 shift fields, 1 motion blur filter, 1 vignette filter, 1 3way CC for primaries, 2 CCs for secondaries, 1 broadcast safe, and it gets way crowded.

Or maybe have a separate effects management palette or adjustment layers...

>The day After Effects becomes realtime is the day you won't see me around here much

Walter Murch wrote in his book about the possibility of incorporating compositing tools into NLEs... The fairly extensive PIP effect in the Tracey fragments wasn't something you'll expect to do years ago in FCP on a G4- you'll render till next year if you have something like 99 tracks, hit play and you'd see the BBOD. And if FCP can tap into those monster 8 cores for rendering.... Just a thought.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 25, 2008 06:18AM
"I did think it would be cool if you can assign the filters into different folders in the effects tab to organize them"

you can do that to your heart's content in the favourites bin.

and we now have the option to show "prefered effects" only.
just go thru the thousands of effects, and tick the ones you want,
then right click on the bg of the effects browser, and choose "Show preferred"

hey, i did a multi pane exgravaganza back in FCP2 on my 450MHz G4!
just switch to "wireframe only" mode, and you don't need any rendering at all to see how those boxes fly around!

nick
August 25, 2008 07:14AM
About the "rotateClips" app: the nice thing with it is that it doesn't rotate or flip those clips which already have the effect applied.
Jude a had an xml based app which beside some other things did that remove/add filters some years ago, but nobody did want it. So I trashed the program.

Here additionally one of the old XML tricks:
as described above you can do a test apply of your filters on a clip and then paste attributes. Then you can export this clip as XML for later use like "effect settings to go".
So in a new project or on a different workplace you always can import the XML and do the copy/paste attributes thing.
Even better if you put some more work on it before exporting: apply this filter to a text generator and type in some information about how and why using this settings.
This is very different from favorites as it always keeps the order of the effects applied and it can be handled as an "on project" base.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
August 25, 2008 09:11AM
> I did think it would be cool if you can assign the filters into different folders in the effects tab to
> organize them (eg CC filters, filters for specific effects)

You can do this in a bin in the Browser, whether it's the Favorites bin or not. (I don't use the Favorites bin because it doesn't allow you to put in clip objects) And for stacking, I just rename the filters "01 Color Corrector", "02 Mask Shape" etc. (filter packing)

www.derekmok.com
August 25, 2008 01:50PM
>You can do this in a bin in the Browser, whether it's the Favorites bin or not.

Thanks guys! This is a very good point. I usually apply filter stacks onto a clip that i keep in my junkyard sequence, then add a marker and label what kind of effect and where it goes, so sometimes I have a version 1, and version 2 with slightly different treatments which i can run comparisons on, then i do a copy and paste attributes onto the clips in the actual timeline when i finally decide on the treatment and effects.

I actually meant the grouping the filters in the clips in the timeline- when you drag a folder of effects onto a clip, the filters are added, but not the folders, it would be nice if I can have them grouped there as well...

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics