Creation of a DCP 2398 PSF

Posted by ditzydame 
Creation of a DCP 2398 PSF
August 21, 2008 09:38PM
Hello,

I'm looking at trying to do a screening at the Lammle theater. The man who they are bringing in to do digital projections says that he needs a DCP 2398i

Is that something I can do myself from my uncompressed 8 bit 1080 file?

And what, if I can, would I need to output it as?

Thanks
Carole
Re: Creation of a DCP 2398 PSF
August 22, 2008 10:06AM
I think he is alluding to 23.976fps video.
I googles your term DCP 2398 PSF and came up dry.

Do you know what frame rate your video is in?

ditzydame Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at trying to do a screening at the
> Lammle theater. The man who they are bringing in
> to do digital projections says that he needs a DCP
> 2398i
>
> Is that something I can do myself from my
> uncompressed 8 bit 1080 file?
>
> And what, if I can, would I need to output it as?
>
> Thanks
> Carole
August 22, 2008 10:18AM
Thanks for responding

yes, its already 23.98. I figured that it might be a frame rate, but, I don't know what the DCP is

Carole
August 22, 2008 10:34AM
Are you sure it wasn't DCI?

August 22, 2008 10:42AM
It might have been DCI. I unfortunately wrote Down both, so I was hoping someone here would know what I was talking about Either way, if I gave enough information.

Carole
August 22, 2008 10:53AM
Now that I think of it, I think it's unlikely this has anything to do with the DCI spec. That spec mandates 24 frames per second exactly, not 23.976. Anything that's 23.976 would be incompatible with the DCI specification.

So I take it back. I have absolutely no idea what we're talking about here. Sorry.

August 22, 2008 11:03AM
Hah! thanks for giving it a whack thouugh!
August 22, 2008 06:43PM
digital intermediate for film out?
August 22, 2008 09:43PM
Ask em again for more info. None of us know what this is.

Is it DCP 2398i , or DCP 2398 PSF, or DCI 23.976 FPS, or something else entirely?

August 25, 2008 07:43AM
Hello, I will check. but DCP 2398 PSF with Left and Right sound was what he told me.

Its to project in a theatre for academy consideration.

Carole
August 25, 2008 08:11PM
Does 'left and right' sound mean stereo, or dual mono? I think you're talking to the wrong person...

August 25, 2008 09:10PM
Stereo. Do you have a suggestion of another board I should take up this line of questioning?

Thanks so much!
Carole
August 25, 2008 11:30PM
No - I mean the person who is giving you the specs isn't giving you accurate tech-talk to work with. You could certainly try the Creative Cow or 2-Pop forums, but these are not terms that any of us have ever heard, so it's likely to be bad information to begin with.

It's like they are saying 'I want an animal. The one with legs on three and a half, with ears, that does that thing when it moves.'

August 25, 2008 11:54PM
Ha! thats funny-- cause thats actually what it sounded like he was saying to me when I asked him to repeat it... sigh.

Do you know what folks actually project as Digital files? When the project digitally for theaters, I mean. Basically I'm just trying to get to that.

carole
August 26, 2008 02:24AM
I found one reference to that term - it could be they want a 'Digital Cinema Package'. According to the Wiki ...

"Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI), a joint venture of the six major studios, published a system specification for digital cinema.[1] Briefly, the specification calls for picture encoding using the ISO/IEC 15444-1 "JPEG2000" (.jp2) standard and use of the CIE XYZ color space at 12 bits per component encoded with a 2.6 gamma applied at projection, and audio using the "Broadcast Wave" (.wav) format at 24 bits and 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling, controlled by an XML-format Composition Playlist, into an MXF-compliant file at a maximum data rate of 250 Mbit/s. Details about encryption, key management, and logging are all discussed in the specification as are the minimum specifications for the projectors employed including the color gamut, the contrast ratio and the brightness of the image. While much of the specification codifies work that had already been ongoing in the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE), the specification is important in establishing a content owner framework for the distribution and security of first-release motion picture content."

If I were you, I would be contacting a post house that does this for a living.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics