Output Editing vs assemble

Posted by Francois-Michel 
Output Editing vs assemble
August 26, 2008 11:38PM
A quick one here, i was talking with a guy yestaerday and he said to me that when you output from FCP if you do an Assemble you got to be in MASTERING mode in the edit to tape window and when you do a edit...of course you got to be in EDITING....whats your thought about that guys ?

I did some ASSEMBLE in the editing mode and it worked perfectly so...
Re: Output Editing vs assemble
August 27, 2008 02:43AM
traditionally an edit is possible in assemble mode.
you can do a clean drop-in BUT you wont get a clean drop-out at the end of the edit.

i'm remembering back to tape-to-tape editing here, but the theory would be the same

what sort of edit where you doing, FM?

nick
August 27, 2008 02:47AM
The differences are :

Mastering:
? Useful if you want to output an entire movie with leading elements such as color bars, slate, and countdown.
? Can only set an In point on the tape. Out point is calculated based on the duration of the elements you choose in the Mastering tab.
(Basically - 'assemble' mode)

Editing:
? Only the selected clip or sequence is recorded to tape.
? Can't add leader or trailer elements.
? Used for replacing a shot that?s already on tape with frame accuracy. You can also use three-point editing between your clip or sequence and the tape. For example, you can set In
and Out points on the tape and only set an In point in your sequence.
(Basically 'Insert' mode)

(abrev. from the Final Cut Pro manual)

August 27, 2008 08:18AM
Ok here is the way i do it.

1 - I black my tape in Mastering mode from FCP. ( TC VTR is in Preset )
2 - I switch to Editing mode ( in the edit to tape window ), set the IN point in my sequence, copy the timecode from the sequence ( my playhead is on the IN point ), than open EDIT TO TAPE, paste the TC in the In point of the window, grab the sequence in the browser that i want to output drag it in the ASSEMBLE icon of the EDIT TO TAPE window...thats it ( VTR is of course in TC REGEN ).

Is it a bad way to do it ?

Thx guys.
August 27, 2008 08:31AM
Is this for outputting an entire show, or just adding a section?

If you're doing an entire show, you can use 'mastering' for the whole thing.

If you're adding from a certain point to past the end of the show, you can do the whole in in mastering mode.

If you're adding a clip, or a small section and you need to timecode *after* the bit you're editing to be retained, you need to be in Editing mode, so that you don't 'crash out' at the edn of the edit and disrupt the the timecode.

The big difference is that in 'Assemble mode' you get clean timecode in, but damaged timecode at the out. In 'Insert' mode you get clean timecode at both ends.

August 27, 2008 08:32AM
Oh, I forgot to add, you need certain kinds of deck to do insert editing, as well. Most standard DV - firewire decks can't do it.

August 28, 2008 12:36AM
I really appreciate the answer Jude, but the thing is that i know all of that Edit vs Assemble difference, my question was badly formulated.

All i wanted to know was if there was a difference by outputting in ASSEMBLE mode on MASTERING and EDITING since like i said i did some assemble edit on editing mode and not Mastering, and that guy was tolding me that it was necessary to be in MASTERING mode to do an assemble edit...so i was confused since again like i said earlier in that post i did a lot of assemble edit in editing mode.

Thx guys.
August 28, 2008 02:47AM
Uumm, I don't think it really makes any difference. I think the chief difference is you can ONLY do insert editing in Editing mode. You can't do insert editing in Mastering mode. As far as I know you can do assemble editing in editing mode too if you want to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics