File error! unkown Volume?

Posted by katz 
File error! unkown Volume?
August 25, 2008 07:01PM
FCP 4.5 HD pcc G5 2.0 Problem: when I quit FCP prompt asks if I want to save and I say yes, this error message comes up File error: unknown Volume. First time this has happened.
What can I do to save my project and close FCP?
Thanks!
Paul
Re: File error! unkown Volume?
August 25, 2008 07:21PM
Gonna need some information...like where are you saving to, your boot drive or an external?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 25, 2008 08:03PM
I save to a project file folder in my system drive.. I decided to quit FCP by choosing not to save the project. I then re-opened the same project did a couple of moves and this time when I quit and I saved changes it was fine? Somehow FCP was not connecting to where it needed to save. When they say unknown volume are they refering to the Drive?
August 25, 2008 08:27PM
There are alternating levels of consciousness on this subject, but IMHO, it's not a good idea to work from your sytem drive. Too many things can go wrong.

August 25, 2008 08:40PM
Joe I just save projects on the system drive and put media on another drive. I thought that was a good idea...? It has worked for me for a long time. I will be upgrading to 6 soon and will then format my 2nd internal drive, make it journaled, put leopard and Studio on it and have an external 500Gb for media. This way I have a choice of which drive and version of FCP to boot from.
August 25, 2008 08:48PM

Joe I just save projects on the system drive and put media on another drive. I thought that was a good idea...?

Not for my workflow. I keep everything on a RAID array that can be rebuilt if one or 2 drives out of 5 goes down. I have lost too many boot drives & learned my lesson many years ago.

ONLY APPS ON BOOT DRIVES for me...no media / projects.

August 25, 2008 09:26PM
Do you put project files on your media drive?
August 26, 2008 08:56AM
As I said...

I keep everything on a RAID array that can be rebuilt if one or 2 drives out of 5 goes down.

August 27, 2008 02:08PM
>Do you put project files on your media drive?

Usually that's where they go, with the autosave vault tagged to the system drive for safety.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 28, 2008 04:43AM
">Do you put project files on your media drive?
Usually that's where they go, with the autosave vault tagged to the system drive for safety."

exactly how i've been working for years, too.

nm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics